remember that he is

Jung Hoseok clicks away on computer's noisy keyboard. The sound of tapping keys lulls him and steadies his breathing, as if it were a metronome, Hoseok is sending an email.

An email to a person he has missed.

When you've lived in a small town for all your life, it is hard to forget faces. It's even harder when one familiar face is that of a man who left you—whose name hadn't crossed your mind until it was highlighted in pale blue on a dim PC screen.
After working for years to forget, there is nothing like being slapped in the face by that dreaded name. Why forget the name of man you loved? Easy: because he has forgotten you. Because he's taken everything from you—your passion, your spirit, your integrity, your lust for adventure, your will to live, your soul, your first love.

You were supposed to be happy. You were supposed to be together. You were never meant to be without him. How could you let him walk out on you like that?

He stares at the dimly lit screen as if he is a zombie; a dead man walking. Hoseok never thought that being the head of a school's alumni program would be so nerve wracking. That is, until the dreaded name flashed onto his screen. Now he sits, staring at Min Yoongi's accentuated name.

He always hated school events. I doubt he's even changed...

It's only an email. One which seems like the longest Hoseok has needed to type. He gets to typing, his fingers trembling as he bites his bottom lip. At last, he is done typing. Jung Hoseok begins to cry. He is alone, and he is not worried about being heard.

You are sending an email to:
minyoongibusiness@gmail.com

Subject: FIVE YEAR REUNION - INVITATION

Hello, Min Yoongi, of the class of 2016. I am Hoseok, the Head of the Washington Highschool Alumni Program. You are cordially invited to an Alumni reunion. Classes of 2012 to 2020 will be in attendance. Cheers! We at the Washington Public HS Alumni Team hope to see you there.

P.S. You are permitted to bring one guest to accompany you. Cheers!

-Jung Hoseok, Head of WPHS Alum.

How could a first love write an email so cold? To Hoseok, Yoongi was to be treated like any other name on the long list of past-students (Hoseok stands up and walks into his kitchen, staring at the floorboards he once shared with Min Yoongi, and pouring himself a glass of soda. His bird chirps to be let out of it's cage).
If Hoseok had it his way, Min Yoongi would not go to the reunion. Hoseok has no control. The email is sent.

How long can something stay in your memory? Is five years the point where it all goes black? Is it when you forget? Is it good to forget? Does it hurt to forget?
...

Jung Hoseok will not speak to Yoongi.

Jung Hoseok will not avoid Yoongi.

Jung Hoseok will make Yoongi regret how he left him.

Jung Hoseok will make Yoongi remember him forever.