Chapter 20: Homecoming

Jake's POV

                I can't stop smiling. I can't believe for the first time since Freshman Year I'm going to homecoming with a girl that actually cares about me and that I like. Everything about tonight was going to be amazing.

                I was currently tying my shoes. I already got dressed and I was waiting on Austin. He finally steps out of the bathroom wearing a red dress shirt and nice pants. I matched him except I had a blue shirt on.

                "You clean up nice." I compliment him.

                "You don't look so bad yourself." He says.

                "You ready?" I ask standing up.

                "As ready as I'm ever gonna be." he says.

I grab my car keys and we go downstairs only to be blinded by a flash.

                "What the!?" I'm cut off by another flash.

                "mom!?" Austin yells.

                "sorry hunny." Mrs. Mahone says.

It is then that I notice she has a camera in her hand.

                "Mom is this necessary?" Austin asks.

                "My two little boys are going to homecoming." She sniffs.

                "Mom, please don't start crying." Austin pleads as we get to the bottom of the stairs.

After we finally convince Mrs. Mahone that we are still her little boys, we drive over to Madison's house to pick up Jessica and Madison. As we ring the doorbell Madison answers and I laugh a Austin's jaw drops.

                "It's not polite to stare love." Madison says.

                "You look amazing." Austin says. I have to agree. Madison was wearing a strapless red dress that came down to her knees and her normally straight hair was curled. Hell if I wasn't taken I would have begged her to date me.

                "where's Jessica?" I ask as we step into her house.

                "She's still getting ready." Madison says closing the door.

We decide to wait in the living room and make small talk. IN the middle of Austin's speech about how the Miami Dolphins are the best football team ever, I see him look behind me at something, causing his jaw to drop.

                "What?" I ask turning my head to see Jessica. My jaw drops as I check her out. She's wearing a blue strapless dress, that matched my shirt and her usually straight hair is now curled and framed nicely around her face. In other word she looks hot.

                "What? Is this a bad dress? I knew it." Jessica says panicking. I quickly close my mouth, get up and walk over to her.

                "You look beautiful ." I compliment her.

                "Thanks." She replies blushing.

We then leave and arrive at the dance   minutes later. Austin and I both get out and open the doors for our dates, and escort them inside to the noisy school. We head into the gym to see the theme is a night in Vegas. We kind of fit in. Eh, close enough.  Madison drags Austin off to the dance floor, where he immediately busts a move causing several other guys dates to stop dancing  and watch Austin, much to their annoyance. But Austin only focuses on Madison. I turn my attention back to the shy girl in front of me.

                "You want to dance?" I ask as You and Me by Lifehouse starts playing. Jessica nods. I gently take her hand and lead her to a spot on the dance floor. I gently place my hands on her waist as she wraps her arms around my neck. We gently sway back and forth to the song. I pull her closer to me and start singing softly in her ear. The song ends all too soon and I reluctantly pull away.

                We decide to get some refreshments, so we go over to the table that has punch and the treats. I pour Jessica a cup and hand it to her.

                "Thanks." She says before taking a sip. I pour myself a cup and right as I'm about to take a sip someone pats my shoulder causing me to almost spill my drink all over Jessica. I turn around to s ee Scott.

                "What are you doing here?" I ask.

                "I go to school here, remember." Scott says.

                "How can I forget?" I say.

                "Scott, what do you want?" Jessica asks crossing her arms.

                "To tell Jake that Austin needs him." Scott replies.

                "For?"

                "I don’t know. Didn't ask." he shrugs.

                "I'll be back." I sigh setting my down my cup.

                "Okay." Jessica smiles at me.

                "Where is he?" I ask.

                "The bathroom." He says. I nod and then take off for the bathrooms.

Jessica's POV

                I wish Jake hadn't of left me with Scott.

                "So…" Scott starts.

I scoff and roll my eyes.

                "Jessica, seriously don't be like that." he says.

                "I'll be like this if I want to." I say. I then notice Austin and Madison dancing. I turn to Scott.

                "Though you said he was in the bathroom." I say.

                "oops." he says before turning and leaving right as Jake walks over.

                "Okay, so either Austin didn't need me that bad or that asshole lied." Jake says.

                "He lied." I say as Jake picks up his drink again and chugs the rest of his drink down.

                "You wanna go dance some more?" he asks setting down the drink. I nod and we go back onto the dance floor. WE start dancing and all of a sudden Jake clutches his stomach.

                "Babe, you alright?" I ask Jake doesn't answer. He just collapses onto the floor, where his eyes shut and his body goes still.

                "Jake?" I cry kneeling next to his motionless body.

                "Someone call 911!" I hear Austin yell as he kneels down next to me.

Everything after that happens so quickly. The paramedics arrive and put him in the ambulance. Then Austin, Madison and I follow the ambulance to the hospital where they whisk Jake away and I'm forced to wait.

Finally a doctor comes out.

                "Well?" I ask rushing over to him.

                "I'm sorry." he says. I rush past him into the room and throw myself on Jake's still body.