Chapter 4

Elliot's POV
I got home after dropping Liv off and sat on the couch watching tv for awhile, when I saw a commercial for Chilli's and remembered that they just built a new one downtown a little ways. I texted Liv to ask her if she wanted to go to dinner there sometime.

Elliot: Hey I was wondering if you wanted to go to that new Chilli's restaurant sometime?

Olivia: Yeah I just saw a commercial for it actually. It looks good. I'm going to go to take a shower though, I'll talk to you tomorrow to make plans. Bye!

Elliot: K, I'll talk to you tomorrow, goodnight!

After the conversation with Liv I called Kathy to ask if I could come over and see the kids for a bit. After she agreed I went and got my keys and drove the short way to my old house.

When I got there I knocked a few times before letting myself in. They were all in the kitchen sitting down to dinner. Kathy asked if I would like down dinner so I accepted and sat down with them.

"So what'dyou do today dad?" Maureen asked trying to make small talk with everyone.

"I went out to lunch and a movie." I answered avoiding saying I went with Liv knowing Kathy would get upset even though we're separated and getting divorced.

"By yourself?" Kathy said jumping into the conversation.

"Well, no I went with a buddy." I responded looking down at my plate.

"Oh who'd you go with? Munch or Fin?" Kathy continued, getting suspicious.

"No... I went with Liv actually. It was a good movie we went and saw Deadpool, it was pretty funny actually, but let's make it clear it's definitely not for you kids." I said changing the subject away from Liv. Even though I already knew Kathy had gotten upset.

We talked for a for awhile longer and ate a little more. When we were done the kids went upstairs to work on homework while I helped Kathy with the dishes.

"So, was it a date?" She asked not looking up from the sink where she was scrubbing a pan.

I rolled my eyes knowing this was going to come up. "No as I said before, we were just hanging out because we're friends just like I am with Munch and Fin."  I said making sure she heard the attitude in my voice making it known I didn't want to talk about Liv, knowing we would end up fighting.

"Well it sure seemed like a date the way you talked about it. I mean you definitely were hiding the fact that you were with her, as if you didn't want me to know you had already started dating again..." Kathy said with a suspicious sigh before looking at me out of the corner of her eye.

"Kathy how many times do I have to tell you it wasn't a date! We're friends nothing more, nothing less. I don't want to fight about this again because I'm done fighting if it's not about the well being of the kids. What does it matter if I was dating her anyways?" I said trying, and failing to not raise my voice so the kids wouldn't hear us.

"It matters because our divorce isn't even finalized yet and to be honest it would hurt knowing that you could get over 17 years and 4 kids with me just like that." She said snapping her fingers as she ended her last sentence to emphasize my recovery time from our divorce.

"Well we're not dating so we don't even need to be having this conversation. We hung out and we're doing it again soon so sorry to tell you I have friends. Thanks for dinner but I'm done here I'll be by next weekend to pick the kids up for my week with them." I said before grabbing my coat, going upstairs to say goodbye to the kids and leaving.

When I got home I got in the shower and laid  down in my bed for awhile, thinking about the day and Liv and Kathy, but mostly about Liv. Eventually, I fell asleep surprisingly quickly, without waking up once.