Chapter One

Chapter One

The heat was bearable in shorts or a skirt or anything that wasn't jeans. Therefore right now the heat was unbearable. I regretted so many things today. Putting on my black jeans after waking up late was the second one. The first one was hitting the snooze button three times, which never happens to me usually. The third thing I regret just happened ten seconds ago after I realized that black jeans was a mistake.

"What did you just say to me," Penelope asked through her teeth from across the table. I wanted to curl up into a ball and hide from the world right now so badly.

Instead I straightened my back and stared her straight in the eyes, "you heard me Penelope." I slammed my laptop closed and shoved it back into my purse.

No one said anything as I finished packing up my things and left the outside dining area. We were at a golf course of all places for a meeting and I just blew it. I just turned down an offer that will decide my fate. I didn't even bother giving any of them a last glance as I left and went back into the club house.

Once inside there I let out a breath of air and relaxed my shoulders. There goes my career down the drain, and my life. I'm never going to be able to publish anything ever again.

I got halfway to the door before James caught up with me, but I didn't want to talk with him right now. "Please Lilac, let's just talk this over for a few days, weeks if you need, and then make a decision."

I rolled my eyes at him, some agent he turned out to be.

I didn't even bother to respond to him, my career was already ruined so that meant his services wouldn't be needed anymore. He looked very frustrated as I turned away from him and kept walking.

"I'll call you tomorrow and see if you changed your mind!" He shouted after me. That is a phone call I am going to decline.

As quickly as I could I ran down the double staircase that took me out of the restaurant and down to the main part of the clubhouse, if you could even call it that. This golf course was very, very fancy. I think it's meant for celebrities and really rich people only. That would explain why I was meeting Penelope here. She probably needed someone's time to waste while he rich actor husband golfed.

Someone's time to waste and another career to destroy for her own entertainment. I should have seen it coming. She does this all the time.

I was just her next victim.

My bag started sliding and I pulled it back up on my shoulder, I slid a little to the right and bumped into someone and dropped my phone. This happens to me a lot so I just sighed and went to pick it up. The other person beat me to it.

We both stared at each other as he held onto my phone and I just wanted it back so I could get out of here. "Sorry to you too," he laughed to himself. "You look like you're in a rush somewhere."

"And?" I answered, raising an eyebrow. "What if I am? You're just making me later for something then."

He narrowed his eyes while smirking at me, "no you look like you're just trying to get out of a place rather than get to somewhere else because you're late."

"Wow," I said unamused, "good one. Next are you going to tell me my future involves owning twenty dogs in the countryside? Because I already know about that too."

"Well you're future does sound pretty interesting, could you include me in there?"

I raised my eyebrows a bit and looked at him with as much pain as I could muster on my face, "that was was the worst line you could have chosen to use."