Conversion Academy {12}

I laid in bed, groggy after having napped for too long. I looked over as the door opened and Leo came in.

He noticed me and frowned, kicking the door shut. "Killian, man, you've got to calm down. I get that Kaz's constant theft is irritating, but in case you hadn't noticed, he's a bit of a kleptomaniac. He really can't help it sometimes."

"He doesn't have to steal," I said, sitting up and running a hand through my hair. I checked the time and mentally sighed, hoping I hadn't completely fucked up my sleeping schedule for the rest of my life.

"The whole reason he landed here is because he can't fight the impulse to steal things," Leo said, sitting at his desk with a wince and shuffling through papers in search of something. "He steals from all of us from time to time. He always gives it back when you realize it's missing. He doesn't take things from you to piss you off or because he wants to keep them. He just does it because he gets an urge and he can't help himself. He has a problem."

He sat up with a paper in hand and got to his feet. He still looked like he was in pain from the beating they'd all taken, but the fact that he'd been able to sit down was a good sign.

"I'm going to Mikayla's room. We're all going to the dining hall in an hour or two if you want to come," he offered before leaving the room.

I got out of bed and stretched, wondering what to do for the rest of the day. I could always go for a walk to try and clear my head, but that sounded like a lot of work and I still felt tired.

The door opened again and my mood sank as Kaz leaned in the doorway. He stepped in and shut the door, letting his back rest against it as he watched me.

"Have a good nap, O'Malley?" he asked.

"Get out, Kaz," I said. "I'm not in the mood."

"Allow me to cheer you up." He pulled a small pack of Nerds out of his pocket and tossed them to me, watching as I nearly dropped them like the smooth guy I was.

"It would really cheer me up if you left," I said, setting the candy on my desk.

"Has anyone ever told you that you're really oblivious?" he said.

"I was busy having my own parent issues, I wasn't paying attention to who was digging their hands in my pockets to get my key," I said in annoyance.

Kaz sighed. "There you go, being oblivious again."

I ignored that and pointed at the door. "Get out."

"You're so touchy." He moved over to Leo's desk and lowered himself carefully into the chair, hiding his pain as best he could. Something told me he'd taken the worst beating out of all of them.

"I'm touchy and you have bad hair. Your point?" I said.

He ran a hand through his stupid undercut hair. "You pay a lot of attention to my hair."

"Because it's on your head and it's just...I have to look at it. So much."

"I like my hair."

"No one else does."

"Harsh, O'Malley."

I glared at him. "I hate when you call me O'Malley. My first name is Killian."