Conversion Academy {14}

We were sitting in Kaz's room, waiting for him to get back from detention. Beckett was playing with his yo-yo, Pete was scrolling through his phone, and Leo and Mikayla were playing catch with a stress ball they'd found on Pete's desk.

The door opened and we all watched as Kaz came in. He raised an eyebrow at us as we studied the marks on his face, arms, and hands.

"Someday they'll beat the rebel right out of you," Leo said, shaking his head.

"The day I let them win is the day you lower me six feet into the ground," Kaz said, kicking the door shut. "Tonight after the Blues make their rounds, we get to work. I already let Siggy know."

"What are you doing tonight?" I asked.

"Tonight, O'Malley, we're going to trigger some feelings," Kaz said, emphasizing the "we" of that.

"How about I man the dorms while you go do whatever it is you're planning," I offered.

"No can do, O'Malley," Kaz said, shrugging. "Leo, make sure you drag him with you."

"Got it," Leo said, saluting Kaz.

"Leo!" I said, glaring at him.

"What? I'm not going to be the one to piss Kaz off," Leo said. "What if he steals my skateboard?"

"Speaking of stealing," Mikayla said, giving Kaz an annoyed look and holding her hand out.

"Oh, right." Kaz reached into his bag and pulled out a book, tossing it to Mikayla.

Mikayla set the book down next to her and Kaz sat down. I watched them, wondering how someone as angry as Mikayla could just let it go that Kaz had stolen from her.

But she seemed perfectly at ease to let it go now that she had her book back. None of the others seemed concerned about it, either.

"What are you doing tonight, Kaz?" Beckett asked.

"That's a mystery, Beck," Kaz said, settled into his usual spot next to Beckett. "Just meet us at the usual spot."

"Sure." Beckett snapped the yo-yo into his hand. "Has Emmett come around lately?"

Kaz shook his head. "Nope, haven't seen him."

Beckett let out an annoyed sigh. "He just keeps making threats at home. He's getting on my nerves."

"Don't worry about him," Kaz said dismissively. "He just talks big."

"I know that," Beckett said, crossing his arms. "He's my brother, Kaz. I know him."

"I can't believe you're related to the rest of your family," Leo said, laughing. "Talk about black sheep."

"You're one to talk," Beckett shot back.

"Both of you shut up," Kaz said. "I have homework to do before tonight, so don't bother me."

"Oh shit, I have to do mine," Leo said, getting up.

"Why are you all so obsessed with your homework?" I asked. I mean, damn, I liked having my homework done, but they all got lost in their homework. It struck me odd that kids sent away cared about their grades.