Chapter 5

Renesmee enters her room, quietly locking the door behind her.  She goes over to her bed, making herself comfortable and overturns the briefcase.

Much to her disappointment, there are only random things like calculators, pens, scales, measuring tapes and a pair of glasses. She digs into the pockets and flaps, desperately hoping to find something that’s connects the dots of her parents disappearance. In her quest, she finds a secret flap with a bunch of newspaper articles and a few papers with a lot of formulae and equations, but one standing out the most.

Renesmee frowns at the papers, even her advanced chemistry class not helping her to understand what is written. She quickly scans the articles, noticing that most of them talk about a successful, ongoing study led by her father and a Dr. Curtis Connors, which may change a million lives if it works. She grabs her laptop, typing the headlines into the search engine, which causes a bunch of sites regarding the research showing up. Renesmee researches all the sites extensively, flawlessly going over every letter, every word. The bits and pieces all over the net slowly start to make sense in Renesmee’s head. Dr. Connors and her father were working on cross-breed species, which would in turn help in limb regeneration, among other things. When the scientists had almost found the final cure, Renesmee’s father had vanished, some speculating that he had gone into hiding, taking his work with him. For the past fifteen years, Oscorp Industries, the company that the two doctors worked for, had been trying to make the cure, with the continuing help of Dr. Connors, but to no avail. Renesmee lets out a frustrated breath, slamming her laptop shut and tossing it to the side. She runs a hand through her hair, gazing at the photos and art lining her walls, thinking. Renesmee sighs softly and gets out of bed, knowing that being stubborn would not help anything. She needed another point of view in the story, Uncle Ben and Aunt May’s side of the story.

Renesmee goes to the kitchen, to find May cooking with an amused smile on her face, the aromas of roasted chicken and brownies filling the air, and Ben excitedly filling her in about his day. Renesmee smiles at the sight, her heart filling with warmth before she clears her throat, and their eyes flash towards her.

“Renesmee,” states Ben, his face wary but concerned.

“Are you okay Nessie?” asks May, her voice filled with worry.

“I’m okay, but I want to ask you something. I need you to answer me honestly,” says Renesmee, her face almost pleading.

“Ask us Nessie. What’s wrong?” says Ben.

“What happened to my parents?”

May and Ben glance at each, internally sighing. They knew that sooner or later, they would be asked this question and they thought that they were prepared to answer it, answer it in full honesty.  But seeing their usually cocky, confident niece so vulnerable made them think twice about what to say.

“Renesmee, your father was a good man, a brilliant scientist. His job shouldn’t have been dangerous, it had no reason to. But whatever he was working on couldn’t get into the wrong hands, or it would be total catastrophe. At least that’s what he said,” says Ben.

“Your parents came to us that one night, fifteen years ago, saying that there were people after him and his research, people that were dangerous and ruthless beyond imagination. He said that he had to go into hiding, or at the very least keep his research hidden if nothing else. We tried to ask him who the people were, why his research was causing these problems or why he never went to the police. He brushed off our questions and left you in our care. He said it was too dangerous to take you and your mother would not be able to bear anything happening to you. Then he left, your mother in tow. We haven’t seen them, or even heard from them since,” May finishes, both hers and Ben’s face a mask of worry and concern.

“Why didn’t he want me?” asks Renesmee, her demeanor small, her voice soft, barely heard by her Aunt and Uncle.

“Oh, Renesmee,” sighs May and goes over to her niece, giving her a tight hug.

“He did want you, so much. Your parents loved you more than life itself and that is why they left you with us. Your dad wouldn’t be able to live with himself if you got hurt because of him or his job. They loved you and that is all that matters right now,” says Ben, effectively ending the conversation for the night.

“So, are you hungry Nessie?” asks May, trying to lighten the mood, playfully waving her wooden spoon in front of Renesmee’s face.  This causes a sudden and startling, but wanted change in the mood and atmosphere in the room.

“Definitely,” answers Renesmee with a smile, hopping onto the kitchen counter and tasting the various things that were being cooked around her.

If only Aunt May and Uncle Ben knew that she wasn’t satisfied with their answer and had decided to visit Oscorp Industries to try to find more about her father’s research and why it causes everything in her life to turn upside down.

COMMENT, VOTE, SHARE AND FOLLOW! :)