Chapter 2

Laurences POV (Dream)

I was back in the prison cell where I had been trapped for years at the power of the cardinal and his cruel army of vampires and supernatural monsters. I opened my eyes to see the familiar hollow darkness once again.

I noticed the candlelight made it easier to see the rusty bars that surrounded me. I looked to the cell on my right to see Kier curled up on the cold stone floor, his chest rising and falling steadily. He was dangerously skinny now, and very weak.

I saw the candlelight dissappear as I held my breath nervously. I'd stayed in this prison for long enough to know, every time the lights went out, something bad was bound to happen. Sometimes people would be dragged out of here and would never return, sometimes they would slay people here in their own cells, and in other cases, people would be dragged out and return as one of the cardinals own, a vampire.

I heard the creaking of the cell doors as I hurriedly whispered Kiers name to try and wake him up.

"Laur?" I finally heard a groggy response.

I breathed a sigh of relief, "You're okay.

"L-laurence...? LAUR HELP," I heard Kier scream. I saw his silhouette being dragged out of his cell by masked figures.

"KIER!" I yelled as he left the cell, screaming my name. My throat burned and tears began to fall down my cheeks when I felt strong hands grip my arms and pull me the way Kier went. I struggled and tried to make them let go but they only held me tighter.

I entered a familiar small candlelit room where I found Kier being restrained on a chair, his face covered in bruises and his lip swollen. He looked towards me as I was forced down on another chair opposite him.

"Laur?" he said quietly, "you need to promise me you won't look, okay?"

I kept my head down, I didn't want to look at his pained face anymore.

"Laur-" he was cut off by the sound of the large wooden door opening. The cardinal stepped inside. He smiled at the two of us sickeninhly, showing his teeth.

"Dinner time," he smirked as he approached Kier. I knew what was going to happen next and I felt sick to my stomach. Kier told me not to look, and a part of me didn't want to, yet I did.

I saw the cardinal tilt Kiers jaw gently and piece his teeth into his neck. Kier gave a short gasp before falling silent, he turned pale and his red veins were visible though his nearly transparent skin.

The cardinal let go of Kier as he dropped to the ground. He began to shiver and tremble violently. I took note of the two fresh marks on his neck and saw the crimson blood drip down his collar. I screamed his name in anger. I hated the cardinal, he had put Kier and I through so much pain. He turned to leave the room as I wondered why he had brought me in here if he wasn't going to turn me into a monster.

He passed me and paused as he said in a sarcastic tone, "You're lover won't remember a thing, and I doubt he'll appreciate it if you left him here, all on his own," he took a few steps forward, "oh, and close the door on your way out, Princey."

I looked through the open door and outside. The freedom that I never thought I'd see again.

I looked back at Kier, who laid there, silent and lifeless. I gave into darkness and fell unconscious.

I sat up in my bed as my eyes shot open. I tried to calm down my erratic breathing as I got up. I looked at the clock on the small table beside me; 3 am.

I shivered as I crept out of my room and into the one opposite mine. I smiled as I saw Kier curled up on his bed, his eyelids flickering through his floppy red fringe as I opened the door.

"Laur?" he mumbled dozily. I shuffled into his bed as he put his arm around my waist and fell asleep again. I leaned into his skinny frame, as close as I could. He always made me feel safe. I remained silent before tears began to fall from my eyes. How was I going to tell him about what the cardinal did to him? He couldn't remember anything from that night and I already knew the changes were worrying him. I couldn't mask the truth forever, and he couldn't go on much longer without the answers. I just didn't want to give them to him.

***

I awoke peacefully in Kiers arms for the first time. I was so used to curling up to him in fear of the masked ones taking us, never really getting much sleep in the cold cell.

He was still asleep. It was the first time I'd seen him so relaxed and relieved. He went though so much pain and suffering and it was all because of me. I truly hated the Cardinal. He would destroy everything in his path to get the throne and that's just what he tried to do with me.

He burned the palace down along with everyone inside it. Everyone I had ever known, my family and friends were reduced to ashes. Then he tried to get to me, but I didn't let him, so he got to me though Kier, and that definitely did work. Kier was all I could think about and every time I thought of Kier, I thought of the cardinal and filled with hatred and the thought of losing Kier.

I could never lose Kier, he was everything to me, he was the only thing I had left. I leaned out of the bed, unwrapping Kiers arms around me before opening my stinging eyes carefully. I crept out of the bed and back into mine.

The sheets were too cold for me to sleep in again so I decided to get ready. Cyrus said to meet up in the hall downstairs so we could talk properly as yesterday was more of an escape day. I admired the guys kindness. I must have been risky taking a few 'escaping prisoners' under your wing like that.

When I'd made my bed and changed into some clean clothes that had been kindly left for me in the room, I looked in the mirror and examined the cuts on my arms and neck. Some were deep and sore whereas others had began to heal already.

I suddenly felt a chill shiver up my arms as I looked to the source of the breeze and saw the open window. No wonder I was so chilly, I thought to myself as I went over to close it. I paused, I could have have sworn I saw some smoke rush thought it but it must have been my tired eyes playing tricks on me.

After closing it I turned around and jumped as I saw a tall man, dressed in black, with a mask covering his face. A mask I knew too well, engraved with the symbol of the cardinals cult. I tried to escape but he was blocking the door. He stood still as I panicked. What was this man going to do? What could he possibly want with me? He rushed towards me with impossible speed, grabbing my throat as I became paralysed by a shocking pain and dropped to the floor, a black whirlwind of smoke surrounding me.

A/N: updates every Sunday? Don't expect me to stick to it!

there will be more timid stuff and I've already written the next one

xx