Chapter 1

Kiers POV

I grabbed Laurences hand as I hauled him off the stone tiles surrounding the palace. I could hear the fierce growling of the masked monsters chasing us as we sprinted out of the place where we were kept as prisoners for the cardinal.

I stopped dead in my tracks as I spotted a river to our left. "Here," I whispered to him as I led him to the side of the river where he then crouched, hiding behind the bushes, catching his breath.

"Stay here," I said as I peered around the bush to find the monsters had given up on finding us. I watched as they searched around the place momentarily before shaking their heads disappointedly and making their way back to the palace.

I turned back to Laurence. He wore a dusty black blazer and black skinny jeans on his pale and tired body. I gave him a weak embrace and he wrapped his arms around me. "I'll never let them take us again, Laur," I reassured, "we're safe now. I won't let them hurt you anymore." Laurence remained silent although I knew he understood what I meant.

When I let go of him, I brushed his hair from his eyes. He smiled at me before his eyes widened as he looked behind me and whispered my name fearfully. My head turned to find a monster only a foot away from me. Before I had time to react, I heard a sickening noise as it dropped to the ground, lifeless, revealing a short blonde haired man bearing a blood covered dagger standing behind him.

"Get up, quick," he ordered. I stood up, my hand still in Laurence's, and followed the man as he walked towards the forest. The man wore a white shirt and black jeans with smart black boots, he was quite small however he looked strong as he held the dagger by his side.

"Thanks for that, erm... Who are you?" I asked shyly.

"I'm Drew, but we'll get to that later," as if on cue, two monsters appeared, they crept closer to us when Drew launched his dagger towards one of the monsters. It dodged the attack faster than any human could, swerving to the side in a blur. They began to walk faster towards us when they both stopped abruptly. They dropped to the ground, faces in the dirt, arrows were visible poking out of their backs.

"Cy! Cyrus where you?" I heard Drew shout, facing the trees. I saw a brown haired man appear, crouched under a tree with a bow and some arrows on his back. He looked up at Drew and smiled, his steampunk goggles glimmering in the moonlight.

"I guess we can go home now," he said, getting up and holding Drews hand. "You two can stay in one of the rooms over there," the man said, pointing to a huge building visible near the edge of the forest. "I'm Cyrus Barrone, by the way," he spoke in a deep voice.

"Thank you. I'm Laurence and this is Kier," Laurence said greatfully from beside me.

"What were you doing so near the palace anyway?" Drew asked curiously as we walked over to the tall building.

"W-we er... We'd rather not talk about it," I said shyly, still holding Laurences hand. "What about you?"

"We heard the Cardinal couldn't keep any more prisoners in so we thought we'd help them escape," replied Drew, "we'll do anything to disadvantage the cardinal."

"We're here now," Cyrus said as we approached a magnificently large old building. Moss covered the walls and vines laced the windows making the building almost look mystical.

I stepped inside the institute, it reminded me of an old run down hotel, tired people looking busy and stressed reminded me of just how bad the Cardinals actions had affected us all. I followed Drew and Cyrus as they led us to our rooms and fell asleep almost instantly.

A/N: so feedback yeah?

(and it will get more interesting :p)

xx