Chapter 6

Kiers POV

I ran off into the small en suite bathroom in a hurry. I couldn't take this anymore. I closed the door behind me and sunk to my knees. I was trembling like mad, but I had no pulse. Nothing made sense. I worried about what it would be like to be the Cardinal. I'd always thought the Cardinal was the first and only of his kind; he was the worst type of monster. After what the other guys had said about me, I felt like I was going to turn into someone like him.

I was worried about me and Laurence, and I wished things could go back to how they were before. I felt sick to my stomach and my mind was racing. I hadn't felt this glum since me and Laurence had been imprisoned.

I heard a knock at the door, "Kier? Kier are you okay?" Laurence asked.

I remained silent.

The bathroom was a pale room; the walls were light blue and the floors were a clean white. It was very bright in here, I didn't like it much. Lately, light was making me squint more than usual and I didn't like the feel of it shining on my pale skin.

"Kier! KIER! Open the door now!" Laurence demanded. I stood up quietly and hesitantly opened the door. Laurence had a habit of overreacting recently; I suppose it means he cares. He flung his arms around me.

"I don't know what's happening to me," I began to sob as he held me tighter. All of the emotions flowed back.

"I'm sorry, Kier," he mumbled. "Don't be, it's not your fault." He pulled away from me and slid his hands up to my bare arms; his touch making me shiver. "You're freezing," he said concernedly.

I took a look at his perfect body and at his messy dark hair falling over his forehead and wished I could go back to this morning and wake up in his arms again. "Yeah, I... I don't know Laur," I said, not really paying attention to what he was saying.

"You don't have to worry anymore," he caught my attention by looking at me with a honest twinkle in his eye, one that made me a bit nervous.

"I-I need to find out what's happening, Laur," I admitted, "I can't go on without answers. I have to go back."

"Kier, listen to me," he said seriously, gripping my shoulders tightly, "you are not going back there...I ...I didn't exactly tell you the truth about what happened when we left."

***

Laurences POV

I tried so hard not to tell him about what really happened, I was just doing what's best for him. I just couldn't let the Cardinal get to him.

As I saw Kiers expression drop into shock, I thought about how this would effect our relationship. I knew he trusted me, and he didn't trust many people, and I was scared of losing that trust.

"What did you say?" he spoke in a monotonous shocked voice.

"I-I er, never min-"

"Tell me," he demanded, narrowing his eyes towards me, "now."

I didn't like the feeling I had about this conversation. I took a deep breath, "He took you." I saw Kiers confused expression, "you know who I'm talking about!" I snapped. I didn't want to relive this nightmare. "He took you from your cell... a-and then he bit you. He made me watch and I couldn't do a-anything!" I sobbed. I felt pathetic; the same feeling I always had when I was thinking about the Cardinal.

I looked to Kier who didn't look sympathetic in the slightest. "Go on," he ordered. I knew if I told him anymore I was going to break down.

"Please," I whispered, "I don't-"

"Go on."

His face had lost all of the colour it once had and his cheekbones looked hollow. His lips were nearly white; like snow, I thought. But they didn't look welcoming. Not the kind of snow you'd like to see outside, on the roofs of Grandominian Castles, but the kind of snow that was just waiting to give you frostbite. His eyes, his soft hazel eyes, had turned milky and emotionless, and were staring at me threateningly.

"...Kier? Are you okay? You don't look too good," I asked. He clenched his jaw, "I said, go on," he snarled.

"He made you drink... I think it was blood; and then he turned you into a vampire. You kept crying and w-when you stopped I thought- I thought I'd lost you, Kier," I whispered, looking down at the floor. "And then he showed me the future, Kier. And you were there. With him. Please don't leave, Kier. Please."

I looked at him again. He was shaking his head disapprovingly, "Why didn't you think to tell me this earlier! I can't trust you, Laurence," he said coldly, turning to the door.

"Wait! Where are you going?" I called after him.

"I need answers. I'm going back." I felt my body freeze as he opened the door, "Goodbye, Laurence."

I slouched back onto the bathroom wall and fell to my knees as I heard the door close. I let the tears fall down my cheeks and onto the clean white floor where Kier once stood. I was going to get him back. I wasn't going to let the Cardinal win this time.