Chapter 18

Fashback / Dream

The night air that was slipping through my window was quite refreshing and the music playing in my ears made it feel even better. Weird right? Yeah well my parents are downstairs arguing like usual and I like to drown their voices out by putting in my ear phones in, shutting the door, and opening the window. Trust me, if your parents argued 24/7, literally, random things would relax you too. Especially at 1:00 in the damn morning.

I mean come on, it's my birthday. Plus in a couple weeks I'm heading into high school. I'm stressed out as it is. Can we go one night without arguing?!

Just as I'm drifting off to sleep I hear their voices get louder. Great. They are coming up stairs with their crap.

"THERE IS ANOTHER PERSON IN THIS HOUSE BESIDES Y--" I screamed as I swung the door open, realizing they were still downstairs.

Wow. They've never argued like this before. What's going on?

I decided to be nosey for once and listen to see what they are arguing about.

"YOU WERE OUT WITH THAT WHORE ALL NIGHT WHEN YOU HAVE A WIFE AND DAUGHTER HERE!!"

"OLIVIA YOU'RE OVERREACTING!! NOTHING IS GOING ON BETWEEN ME AND HER! SHE IS JUST SOMEONE I WORK WITH!!" I hear my dad’s voice boom through the house. He's scary when he's angry. He's only gotten physical once but I never know what he is capable of.

"YOU'RE SUPOSED TO GET OFF OF WORK AT 10:00!! TONIGHT IS THE FOURTH TIME THIS WEEK, THAT YOU HAVE COME HOME AT MIDNIGHT!! AND IT'S ALL BECAUSE YOU'RE OFF WITH SOME RAUNCHY, TRASHY, SLUT WHO PROBABLY TRIES TO BANG EVERY GUY SHE LAYS HER EYES ON!! I WOULDN'T BE SURPRISED IF THAT'S HOW SHE GOT THE JOB IN THE FIRST PLACE." My mother fires back.

So my dad’s... Cheating? How? Why?

"You know nothing." It sounds as if he is clenching his teeth.

"Oh god.. Please don't do anything you'll regret. Please don't do anything you'll regret..” I repeat quietly to myself. Praying he doesn't get physical.

"I know we are over. I'm going to go get Sophie and we are going for a drive. When I return, you and your stuff should be gone. You can stay with Becca. That shouldn’t bother you."

I scurried to my bedroom when i heard her walking up the stairs.

"Soph.." She knocks at my door.

"Come in."

"Let's go for a drive. I need to talk to you.."

"Okay. Where are we going?" I try to pretend that I don't know what's going on. This is sort of true. I'm still confused on what’s going on.

"Just for a little drive. Maybe go get snow cones for your birthday." She said. She never made eye contact with me though.

When we got downstairs, my dad was sitting on the couch staring into space. He didn't say one word to me, or my mother. Wow. Way to say "goodbye"..

--------

The car ride to the snow cone place was completely silent and awkward. When is she going to talk to me? And is he really leaving?

After ordering a strawberry, and watermelon snow cones, we headed back to the car, but instead of going back home we just sat there finishing our delicious treats.

"So.. Your dad and I have decided that it's better if.. You know, we go our own ways." My mother explains, breaking the silent.'

"Why?"