7

July 22nd, 1898. Godric's Hollow.

He sat on the window sill, watching as Ariana played with the goats in the field behind the Dumbledore cottage, a fond smirk on his face. Gellert had thoroughly enjoyed the previous day, laying on the beach scandalously close to his best friend's sister. He couldn't imagine the reaction if either of the Dumbledore brothers saw the sight. Her wet dress clung to her figure as she jumped around in the shallow waves, too nervous to swim out into the depths without clinging onto him. They had chased each other up and down the beach, hiding in caves and finding mysterious shells that lined the bottom of the cliff face. He was particularly endeared by her amusement of their water fight, which anyone not so naive would deem highly inappropriate for a woman of her age. Everything was falling into place just perfectly.

The only problem was Albus' hate for his sister and obsession with Gellert. The obsession had been perfect when Gellert needed Albus to agree to things he was unsure of. He had found undying loyalty in Albus' strange feelings, and had greatly appreciated the contribution it made to his plans. But it made him jealous, to the point where Albus refused to let Gellert near anyone who wasn't him, in fear of losing his dear friend. This was making it difficult for Gellert to get close to Ariana, who needed to be drawn into his plans whether Albus would like it or not. It made him wish Albus did not have such an unnatural liking to him.

The other brother, the dim-witted Aberforth, would not be needed. He was stupid, impulsive and entirely useless. Ariana was harder. He admired the girl, and his feelings towards her were true, but he would not miss an opportunity to take advantage of something so convenient to his plans. She was a symbol of power and he would make use of her abilities as much as he could. But time was running out, so the Aberforth boy would need to be removed from the picture if everything were to go as planned.

For now, he was focusing on his most important plans; finding the Hallows. The wand was by far the most important, and he and Albus were getting closer and closer - not that his friend noticed. He had to be careful that Albus did not waver in his loyalty, because at the end of the day, he would rule. Albus would be his most trusted advisor and hold a great deal of power on his own, but only one person could hold the elder wand.

He stared with a smirk as his friend's beautiful sister returned to her cottage, oblivious to the eyes that followed her. He wouldn't let her slip through his fingers - no matter what. She was too valuable; more so than Albus. He returned to the plush leather seat in the corner of his room, the desk beside him littered with parchment, with scribbled notes of all his plans. He had heard a rumour that the wandmaker who had produced his own wand, Gregorovitch, had come into possession of an 'extremely powerful wand'. How foolish, Gellert thought, to give away its location so easily.

He returned his research notes and books into the sealed drawers, before leaving the cottage to visit his friend's sister. Neither Dumbledore brother was home, and he was not about to let another opportunity slip through his fingers.

*

She hummed a common muggle tune under her breath, playing with the corner of the page as she tapped her foot on the ground in boredom when a loud knocking was heard from the front of the house. She jumped up, putting her book on the table and rushed to the front door. She nervously flattened out the creases in her dress, before opening the door to her handsome friend. He stood there, he growing blond locks blowing softly in the breeze, his gleaming eyes and beautiful high cheekbones making her cheeks blush a soft pink at the sight of the tall figure.

"Gellert!" she exclaimed, smiling brightly as she ushered him inside quickly. "I've been meaning to thank you for yesterday, I had such a wonderful time!"