Chapter Nineteen: lets just hope your smart ass doesn't get lost

Black lace fell from Scarlet in a waterfall of fabric, a leather belt hanging from the loops where it had been left unbuckled. The dress Thorne had chosen was both elegant and casual, a tight bodice that sprung out into a skirt that hung to her bare knees.

Scarlet stood awkwardly, her hands fiddling with the edge of the skirt as her eyes met Wolf's.

"Scarlet" He began "you..."

"You pull that off better than me!" Iko squealed, leaving Cress on the bed and running to grab Scarlet hands. "Ooh, can I do your hair?" she asked, "and maybe just add a little bit of lip gloss."

"It doesn't matter how I look, we're here to talk to Evret," Scarlet reminded her. "I heard you talking," she told Cress when she gave her a questioning look. Iko, however, was more interested in arranging Scarlet's hair in different ways.

"You won't need that," Iko said, taking the belt from Scarlet's waist, "your body fills it out perfectly."

"I'll try and take that as a complement," Scarlet said.

"It is," Iko smiled, returning to Cress who looked more nervous than before.

Scarlet stalked over to where wolf was sitting and sunk down next to him, the dress floating down around her.

"You look pretty," wolf said quietly as everyone else engaged in their own conversation. Though Scarlet looked as if she wanted to be angry, she blushed and tried to hide her smile."

"Okay," Thorne said suddenly, "so I've been conflicted, but I think I've found the perfect dress for Cinder." Cinder huffed but didn't bother protesting as Thorne pushed her into the bathroom. She went in mumbling about how pointless dresses and makeup where. Luckily Iko didn't hear.

When Cinder stormed out of the bathroom in a bright green dress with silk straps Wolf was glad he was on the opposite side of the room, safely sat behind Scarlet.

"You've got to be kidding me!" she fumed, waving the fabric in Thorne's face. It had a low neckline and was shorter than Scarlet's. The red head seemed oddly amused by Cinders rage.

"C'mon, it's not that bad," Thorne said, "Iko?"

"Iko likes," Iko said, having too much fun with her new role of stylist.

"I'm not wearing this," Cinder said, making a turn for the bathroom to change back, but Kai had already grabbed her hand, stopping her in her tracks.

"You might not realise Cinder, but you look lovely - with or without the dress."

"You don't mean that" Cinder said, trying to pull away, but Kai's grip was unrelenting.

"Don't wear the dress if you don't want to, but I just want you to know you look beautiful." Kai said, and even from across the room, even after not knowing him that long, Wolf could see something new in Kai's eyes.

---

Cinder didn't wear the dress, but Cress did. It hung around her ankles, but Cress found amusement in spinning around in it, blushing when Cinder, who had settled on wearing jeans after a lengthy argument with Iko, laughed at her fascination.

"Why don't the boys have to dress up?" Scarlet asked as they stood outside the bar Cress had found.

"None of them brought anything worth dressing them up in, Iko answered.

"Well we didn't come here expecting a party," Kai said from Cinders side. He had hesitantly wrapped his hand around hers when they left the Minibus, and Cinder had been glad for it. It was comforting to have him beside her, especially with what she was about to do.