IV

They were absolutely everywhere...

I gazed at my feet, pulling them here and there through the water. They were completely swallowed by stars, the shining specks making my me shudder. I had total control of myself, and I walked through the water, seeing that all the stars were being pulled somewhere.

"Hello?" I called, looking up at the cliff side. "Is anyone there?"

I backed away suddenly, seeing a pair of red eyes gleam at me from the fog. Another pair showed up beside them, and yet another. My heart began to throb in my chest and even though I was scared, I felt safe down here, away from whatever creatures lurked up there. But where was I...?

***

"Miss?"

Silence. The wind was tearing through the trees while a blizzard raged.

"Miss, are you okay?"

I couldn't move. My limbs were frozen stiff, and I was half buried in the snow. I was barely conscious when I felt fingers on my neck, checking for a pulse. Everything was dark, and I don't think it was just my vision this time. The man let out a curse under his breath as he began digging the snow away from me, his hands slipping underneath my body and pulling me from the cold. He felt so warm.

"H...He..." I tried to speak, but found myself unable to. I must have fallen asleep in the snow and a blizzard started, because I could see how blue my fingertips were. If I had hypothermia I'd pay the guy who saved me.

"Don't worry miss, I'll get you warmed up soon." The worry in his tone was audible. A small flash caught my eye and I saw a police officer badge on his coat.

The wind was blowing through the trees, tangling itself in my hair and brushing it's fingers against my skin. I let out some sort of noise of pain as we exited the forest and the wind grew harsher, and the man only held me closer than before. I saw a truck, one with a flashing red and blue light atop the cab. I was placed in the passenger seat while he reached over and turned the heat up as much as he could, the warm air just as painful as the cold against my skin. Within moments though I could feel myself beginning to thaw, and a blanket was placed over me to help.

"I'm bringing you down to the station, someone there will know what to do." The man sighed, shutting the door beside him. We did a U-turn and he began driving back to the town, all the while I pulled the blanket closer to my body.

Just as we'd reentered city limits I began to feel pins and needles shoot through my muscles. I attempted to move my hands and found them much looser than they had been before, the rigor that struck my body fading. I took a deep breath and pushed myself up into a sitting position, surprising the man beside me. All I did after was close my eyes and lean my head back against the head rest.

"Can you speak?" He asked.

"Yeah." I whispered. "Thank you."

"No problem," He smiled. "What's your name?"

"Delia." I said. "What's yours?"

"I'm Officer Alleston, I just got transferred out here." He chuckled. "What were you doing out in the cold?"

"Dying." I said dryly. "I kicked myself out of the house."

"Get into a fight with your parents?"

"Yeah." I grimaced.

The station appeared on our right, and Officer Alleston parked right outside the door. He hopped out and ran around to my side, holding the door open for me while he held a hand out to help me down. I grabbed it tightly, feeling my body shake as I practically fell from the seat. Luckily he caught me and kept me from suffering any more brain damage than I'm sure I already had.