XIII

I wandered out the door, closing it softly behind me as I began my walk. The air felt nice again, like a warm summer breeze that I enjoyed, even though I knew it wasn't really warm. In fact, I took my phone out and checked the temperature. Below freezing. I guess if I could control ice...my body would be a lot more accustomed to the cold.

My feet took me down the street, all the way down to a sign that said welcome to Blackwood. I picked up the pace, smiling as I looked around town. The streets were practically empty and everyone seemed to be hiding inside today. It wouldn't surprise me if they were all scared for their lives, and the thought made me chuckle darkly. They were scared because of me and my family. They just didn't know that there was a monster lurking in their midst.

I saw the police station soon enough and rushed inside, finding Ryker behind his desk. He stood up and sped around it, pulling me against him. I was the one who was surprised this time, but still I smiled, letting myself snuggle against him and squeeze him tightly. Ryker seemed to sigh in relief at the sight of me and pulled my keys out of his pocket to hand over to me.

"God, I'm so happy you're okay." He sighed, placing his hands on my shoulders. "Last night was horrific...there's been a curfew put up for nine p.m., please promise me you'll follow it. I can't have you getting hurt."

"I can't promise that." I said slowly with a chuckle. "But I can try my best to do it."

"Thank you." He hugged me again. "I was so worried..."

"Hey big guy, I'm okay." I put my hand on his chest, patting it gently a couple of times. "I've actually decided that I'd feel a lot safer living away from my home, since the attacks were pretty close. I'm going to be living with my friend Aidan and his parents until I graduate."

"How long will that be?"

"Two weeks, it's June first this Friday isn't it?"

"Yeah, it will be."

"So we'll be done by the seventh." I smiled. "Am I even legally allowed to move out of my parents house right now?"

"Well, you're eighteen aren't you?" He raised an eyebrow.

"Yes I am."

"Then you'd legally be allowed to move out and even drop out if you wanted." He chuckled.

"Great, will you come with me to their house to tell them that?" I asked, giving him the puppy eyes. "Because if I do it, they won't believe me."

"You know, I think I can." Ryker chuckled, nudging me out the door. He hopped into the passenger side of my truck and I jumped into the drivers seat, glad to have back up on this.

The drive took only a few short minutes, and soon enough I was pulling into my foster parents driveway and jumping out. They were both home, which meant that I could knock out two birds with one stone. I took a deep breath and let it go, prepping myself to speak to them. Ryker gave me a supportive smile and I smiled back, walking around to the back door and walking in like I owned the place. I didn't bother sneaking around and surprising them.

"Delia?" My mother turned around, her eyes widening when she saw me. It was barely noon and already she was holding a glass of wine.

"Hey, is dad around?"

"Yeah, he and your brother are out in the front room." I scowled for a moment before taking another breath, and she continued speaking. "Who's your friend?"

"This is Ryker, he works at the police station."

"Oh, hello! I'm glad to see Delia here finally made a new friend." She shook hands with Ryker, who looked equally as disapproving as I felt.