XXII

The water was still. I lay in it, looking towards the sky, feeling my body ache and bleed. This was pain, this was damage, this was something I shouldn't have to feel. I had a feeling though that I wasn't the first one to ever feel the bite of those bullets.

"You saved him."

"I know." I whispered, feeling the girl lay beside me. "But what have I become..."

"Something...stronger." She whispered, almost like it was a temptation. "Stronger than anything else on this planet."

"I was a Night Mare."

"You were a demon."

***

My body was throbbing when I finally awoke. I could barely see a thing, until I realized that I was facedown. When I propped myself up I could see the slate gray walls of what appeared to be a prison cell, and my skin had not yet returned to its normal pallor. But at least I was alive.

"Ah, bonjour."

I whipped around, spotting someone in the cell across from mine. It was a man, with bright orange eyes, and hair so blue it bordered on black. He smiled at me, and just by the shape of his ears I knew he wasn't human. I shook my head, attempting to speak again, but finding myself unable.

"English, then?" I nodded. "Perfect! I happen to be fluent." The man stood up and walked towards the bars. "My name's Draco. I'm a Fae, if you couldn't already tell. They tossed me in here for lighting fires in the forest out on the coast, these people are no fun. What'd you do?"

I pointed to him, then on myself I gestured out the scene of cutting open my chest and ripping things out. He seemed to get my drift.

"You killed a human then? I heard there was a Night Mare running around killing people, but I didn't know she'd be so linguistic."

"I..." I tried to speak again, taking a deep breath. I looked down and felt my face burn when I realized I was practically naked, and pressed my finger to my chest. Ice spiderwebbed out to surround my breasts and traced down my stomach to create a bathing suit sort of contraption. I could feel myself gaining more control, and allowed it to weave into a fabric and fall down to cover my legs. "My name...its Nyx."

"Oh, so you can speak. Magnifique!" He chuckled. "It's nice to meet you Nyx."

"I killed...I killed a demon." I croaked. "But he isn't normal. He's far from normal."

"So why'd they throw you in here then?"

"His body hadn't disintegrated to tar yet, and I was still at the scene." I attempted to stand, but immediately fell to the floor. I looked down at myself only to realize that my leg was wrapped in bandages, and so was my stomach. I ripped them off of my waist and instead laced the wound with ice. "They shot me. I don't know why I'm still alive."

"They must have seen a reason to keep you the way you are. After all, I don't think I've met a Night Mare who was able to be civil." Draco chortled, and I did my best to stand up again.

"I'm not a Night Mare, I'm a Yuki." I huffed, holding onto the bars. "Half breed Yuki, to be exact."

"Really? Now that is quite the surprise." He smiled. "I think that may be why you are as you are now."

"I-"

"Amphitere, leave the new one alone."

Draco held up his hands and backed away from the bars, only for a woman to walk into view. She was dressed in a pencil skirt and a blouse, a blue rosary hanging beneath her lab coat. Her hair was so blonde it was white, and her skin was no different. Even her eyes were an odd shade, being purple in hue. She seemed to be here to study me.