XI

"Feel that?" The girl asked.

"That was...power." I shuddered. "I killed them."

"You did."

"I want to do it again."

"You will."

***

"She's alive...just tired."

"She attacked them all...no mercy..."

"Good. She knows how to stay alive."

My heart was pounding in my chest as I blinked out the darkness. I took a deep breath, catching the attention of whoever was talking. One of them rushed to my side, and instead of ruffled black hair, I saw smooth blond, with pebble blue eyes set into his skull. I was inside the house in a living room, laying on a velvet couch.

"Aidan?" I felt my eyebrows furrow. "But where-?"

"I'm the one who brought you back here." He said. "Thank god, you've been out for a while."

"It's...cold."

"That's normal."

Someone else came into view. He was an older man, seemingly wise beyond his years, with silver hair and the same pebble blue eyes as Aidan. This must have been Gabriel, his father. He wore a forest green turtleneck and blue jeans, his garb just as normal as everyone else's.

"What am I?" I breathed as I sat up. "I know you know."

"You're unique, that's what you are." He chuckled. "You're a Yuki-Onna, the Order members shorten it up to Yuki for time."

"Those people I killed?"

"Members of an organization called the Order of Anubis." Gabriel explained. "They were trying to kill Nox here when you apparently stepped in and started tearing them to shreds."

"Nox..." I looked over at him. "Why'd you call me Nyx?"

"I'll...I'll let Gabriel explain that one." He shrunk a little bit.

"Your real name is Nyx Adelia Lumen." He smiled a little. "You were put up for adoption when you were a baby. You never knew your real parents, but trust me, one of them has been making sure you were safe this whole time."

"Nox Aidan Lumen..." I looked over at the boy beside me. He waved, a big smile on his face as the realization dawned upon me. "You're saying that...I'm a Lumen?"

"By birth, yes." Gabriel smiled. "I'm sorry it had to come out like this, but we figured since you'd already found out your...talent, we'll call it, that it was a good idea to let you know the whole thing."

"You mean...I have a family?!" I asked incredulously. "I have a real family?!"

"About as real as the fact that we're not human." Nox snorted.

"If we're not human, what are we?" I asked Gabriel.

"Demons."

"Demons..." I laughed a little. "I'm a demon? A monster?"

"You're a Yuki. We're actually quite civilized." Gabriel said as he took a seat in a leather armchair. "There's not many of us left though. Maybe one more in the United States, a few more over in Asia, but that's about it."

"Yeah, and get this," Nox made hand gestures as he spoke. "Gabriel and I are the only two men. Yuki-Onna are women, just our luck, huh?"

"I...wow." I took a shaky breath, curling in on myself a little. For the first time I realized I was covered in blood. "Oh god...I think I'm going to be sick."