Chapter 8 - The Gathering

"The Gathering"

Running through the woods is the only thing that can calm me down completely. As time passes by I'm becoming more and more nervous. The Alphas will be here in two hours and it's eating me from the inside out. I've been in the forest running a couple of hours now trying to memorize everything and get my mind off of the gathering even for a little bit.

'Alex you have to come back now! They're coming earlier!' Rocky said through our mind link.

Oh shit.

I quickly ran back to the house, opening the door with force, startling everyone in the living room. I gave them a small wave not caring who's here at the moment. I climbed up the stairs and into my room trying to calm down and stop my heavy breathing.

Once I had enough air in my lungs, I walked in the closet trying to find something suitable to wear. After all, I'm an Alpha.

While I searched my clothes that someone had already put in drawers and hangers, I heard a knock on the door.

"Come in!" I yelled and the door creaked open. I ignored the presence behind me and continued looking like a maniac for the perfect outfit.

Someone cleared their throat and I turned around finding Xavier looking at me, with those green eyes, clearly amused.

"Hey, Xavier." I said quickly looking away and turning my attention back to the clothes.

"Alex. Why are you doing like a crazy woman?" He asked coming closer to where I'm standing. I stopped mumbling to myself and huffing I turned to him.

"Because I don't know what to wear! Should I wear a dress or should I go with jeans and a button up shirt? Or maybe I could wear a skirt with a plain blouse... ugh! I don't know!" I threw my hands up in defeat. He seemed to think about it for a while then turned to me.

"Okay look. Usually all women I've seen in gatherings like that, wear dresses. But you can always wear something else. It's not like they will tell you anything about it..." He said looking at my clothes.

"Okay well, I don't want to make a bad first impression. So I think I'll stick with the dress." I said nodding to myself. I rummaged through my hanging dresses trying to find one that suits the occasion. I found a light brown one that looks a bit professional. It reaches just above my knees and I think it will hug my body perfectly. In the middle, it has a very thin black belt with a little bow in the front. It's sleeveless with very thick straps.

I looked in the closet mirror and inspected it.

"That will do." I mumbled and turned to around to find Xavier inches away from me. Surprised by the proximity I took a step back but his hand shot out and brought me to him.

He lowered his head until his lips were barely touching my neck. "Whatever you wear, you will make a good impression. You're beautiful and you don't need anyone to tell you what to do." He whispered his mouth next to my ear. A shiver ran down my spine and I had a sudden urge to bring him closer. I ignored my stupid instincts and focus on what is happening right now.

A knock on the door interrupted him from what he was about to say and I quickly step away from him.

"Y-Yes?" I stuttered unable to think clearly. I shouldn't act this way. He is not my mate. Yeah, I'm attracted to him, but he is not my mate.

"Alexa, can you hurry it up? They'll be coming soon." I heard Rocky saying from outside.

"Okay!" I listened to his footsteps fading away from the door. I looked at Xavier again who's smirking.