Chapter 10 - Rogues

Chapter 10 – "Rogues"

I ran and ran until I couldn't breathe anymore so I stopped and leaned on a tree. I looked up at the sky and the sun was still high so it must be noon by now.

I can't believe Rocky, of all people, said this to me. He and Jared are like my brothers and I know for a fact Jared would never say anything against me to defend another person in front of everyone. And all this just because I voiced out the truth.

I didn't want to think about it so focused on the sounds and smells around me. Birds were chirping, squirrels were climbing up trees, I smelled the pine trees and the ground. I could even smell the river that was somewhere nearby. My nose caught a strange smell that didn't exactly fit with the forest so I took a deep breath to see if I recognized it.

It smelled like rotten flesh and blood and it was getting stronger. I looked around me but everything was quiet. On the opposite direction of where the horrible smell was coming from, in between the smells of the forest I smelled cinnamon.

Hunter was in the forest.

I ran towards where his smell led me. Maybe he could tell me what that smell is. I doubt he will even want to be near me now but I'll at least try. This smell was coming from someone that wasn't exactly friendly and Jade and I were kind of worried about him.

Cinnamon was getting stronger and I knew he was somewhere here. Suddenly I was pulled to the side and I was against a tree. I was going to attack but then I saw Hunter looking at me with these ocean blue eyes of his and relaxed a bit.

He leaned closer and whispered in my ear. "There are rogues coming, stay quiet. Climb up the tree."

I nodded and quickly made my way up to the thickest branch. After some seconds Hunter came and sat as far as it was possible from me. I shook my head and turned my attention to the rogues who I could smell were coming even closer. What the hell do they think they are doing trespassing our land!?

"Why are they here...?" I whispered more to myself but seems like Hunter heard me and I felt his eyes on me.

"I think they are here to see what we're doing. They would want to know our strategy when they attack." His voice barely heard. I looked up at him and I held his gaze for a moment before he looked the other way again.

After minutes of silence, he spoke again. "You know even if I am your mate, I'm still an Alpha and you should respect that."He said, his voice cold as ice.

I turned to him, my eyes hard, not letting any emotion slip. There was no way I was going to take back what I said, especially when it's the truth and I fought with Rocky about this.

"I'm an Alpha too Hunter. Or do you believe what Alpha Rogers said and say I'm acting childish?" I asked glaring at him. His eyes became darker and his fists clenched.

"Don't you dare compare me with that pathetic excuse of an Alpha." He growled lowly. I scoffed and rolled my eyes looking at the now approaching rogues.

"I'm not taking back what I said earlier because it is true and you know it," I said still refusing to look at him.

"Maybe it is true. But you'll have to cope with that for the rest of your life, don't you think?" He asked and I looked at him. He had that cocky smirk on his lips that makes me angry. I just haven't decided whether I want to slap it away or kiss it away.