The Eyes of Aragorn

My breathes grew heavier as I sat on my bed, trying not to fall asleep. This place, although peaceful, it kept me on edge. There was something I didn't like about being here.

"Bre!" Aragorn placed a hand on my shoulder and locked his gaze with mine.

I froze with wide eyes.

He smiled genlty. "You should sleep. It is guaranteed that no harm will fall upon you as you sleep here."

I took a deep breath and looked away, spotting Caleniel next to a fountain. My eyes shifted as I realized the mournful singing of the Elves. Aragorn left and went to sharpen his sword. I looked from him to Caleniel, noticing Legolas approach her with a vase in his hands.

"A lament for Gandalf," Legolas said.

Caleniel smiled gently and weakly, locking her gaze with his. Legolas smiled back at her, and I couldn't help but squeal as I watched the couple in the moonlight. This might be it. Caleniel might have done it.

"What do they say about him," Merry asked Legolas.

I paused, falling back to the tragedy of the situation.

Legolas lowered his eyes. "I have not the heart to tell you. For me, the grief is still too near."

I looked away. I could lose myself as much as I'd like, but there was nothing I could do. Everytime I tried to forget Thorin something always reminded me of him. All of this emotion was something I couldn't handle. I walked out.

I kept walking in that direction until there was water at my feet. I stared at myself for an eternity. Simply looking at myself reminded me of what Thorin said, Thorin did, and Thorin felt.

"You may have a home with us." Thorin smiled. "Stay with us, Bre."

I smiled back at him. "I intend to."

I shook my head and sighed. "Thorin," I whispered as tears formed.

"Our home," Thorin smiled at me after the eagles dropped us off.

"I want to live there," I smiled back.

Thorin grabbed my hand. "You certainly can."

My hand flew to my face. "Thorin..."

"Bre... When we reach the mountain, would you be my queen?"

I pursed my lips hard, closing my eyes tightly.

THORIN!!

"Bre."

I gasped and whirled around to a concerned Aragorn. I stared at him for a brief moment, my eyes landing on his after every inch of scanning. He shouldn't be here. I don't want him here. My eyes lowered away from his eyes.

"What is it?" I paused, catching my breath.

"You should rest. We will be leaving soon, the morning to be precise." Aragorn now stood less than a foot in front of me. "You will need your strength." 

Shaking, I looked up at his gaze. I froze as he seemed to look into me. His seemed echanting and inticing all at once. They made me feel safe and secure. It was almost like his eyes had magic themselves. He was from this world, I knew that, but there was something about his eyes that made him seem other-worldly.

There was something in the way he was breathing that also made me nervous. He was too close, and his eyes had some strange power over me. It wasn't some sort of soul thing. It was something more magically inticing.

I cleared my throat, trying to look away from his eyes. "I've only been gone for a few minutes. I still have plenty of time to rest."

Aragorn's chin lowered with a gentle, stern look. "... You've been gone for an hour."

I managed to look away. "I was... lost in thought. It's a very natural habbit of mine to lose track of time while doing so. The past is a powerful and moving thing for me."

"The past is named the past for a reason." Aragorn stepped into my gaze. "You need to leave that behind you."

I didn't move. I didn't want. I knew that if I did, I'd look back at his eyes. I swallowed. "...And you need to be king."

Aragorn lowered his eyes. He took a silent deep breath and kissed me. Closing my eyes, I froze. It wasn't that I didn't like him. It's that I couldn't let go of Thorin. Aragorn was a crush, and he should remain that way.

Aragorn pulled away, slowly opening his eyes and locking his gaze with mine. I felt him breath, and then he pulled me in, kissing me once more. He wrapped his arms around me tightly as his kiss lingered. He stroked my hair as he whispered, "I'm sorry," and he kissed me again.

I cupped his head and kissed him. My lips lingered on his as I pulled away. His eyes said he was destroyed and wanted more, but there was something else wrong.

I paused, thinking of my own depression, my Thorin. I pursed my lips and began walking away.

Aragorn grabbed my arm. "What is it?"

I didn't even bother looking back at him. "Arwen," I whispered.

I felt his grip loosen, and I rapidly walked away before he could say anymore. I walked away before I could even hear an echo of his whisper. There was nothing more to say. Everything had already been silently spoken for both our hearts.