Make Your Own Way

Just a quick note from the author here... This chapter is when everything picks up speed extremely quick. I did this to emphasize really how fast time flies for the band once they get going. To the point they are lost in the shuffle and not much detail of transition is present. But I promise I do have lots of detail in here for you as well. I really want to emphasize the tour beginning in this chapter. So just wanted to give you a heads up that this chapter is the beginning of a very fast paced transition into fame. Anyways, hope you enjoy this one!

---------------------------

We both walk out into the garage, hopping into Eric's green Vega. He starts the engine and carefully backs out of the driveway. We head out into the main square of the suburban area we reside in. We park on the side of the street up against a little flower shop on the corner. We spend a couple hours walking in and out of stores, up and down sidewalks, hand in hand. We don't end up finding anything worth buying until late afternoon. We finally step into a local leather shop, after becoming discouraged with everything else. I walk around for a couple minutes, until I spot a long royal blue coat. It's color is deep and rich, with a soft texture. Fringe hangs from the shoulders and back, draping gracefully down over half the coat's length. It's adorned with fairly spacious pockets on each side, and a studded metal and rhinestone heart pattern on the back. The price tag is what actually caught my attention most.

"Jesus Christ, Eric! Get this! It's only thirty bucks!"

"Woah! Are you serious?"
"Yeah!"

"Excuse me." Eric grabs the attention of the old man who appears to be the owner. "Sir, we were just in awe of what a great price you have for this beautiful coat here. Is there an underlying or non-visible error or issue to it to make it so cheap?"

"Oh no, no, my friend. Unfortunately we're going outta business. So we're trying to sell as much as we can." The man points to a sign up above the door.

"Oh. I see now, thank you!"

"Anytime, if you folks need anything just holler." The man walks back into the office.

"Hey, why don't you bring that beauty over here," Eric calls to me.

"Eric... You don't need to get it. It's okay; I have money."

"Sweetheart, you couldn't persuade me to let you buy this for yourself with me standing here even if you begged on your knees." He smirks as I hand him the coat.

"I love you so much." I grin, pulling him in for a tight embrace.

Eric places the coat on the counter and generously pays the cashier. After it's all paid for, Eric takes it, holding it out behind me, and he gently slips it over my shoulders.

"I love it. Thank you so much, Eric." I place a soft kiss on his lips.

"No problem." He smiles.

We drive back to my house slowly. We spend most of the ride singing along to the radio and admiring my new coat. I still can't believe he bought it for me.

****

From now on, life begins to really pick up speed. The next week flies faster than ever. Come Friday, we have all the songs written and recorded, and the album name and cover good to go. We finally decided on Night Songs, with a matching cover design, of course. Even Tom finally meets a really sweet girl named Sarah who I am convinced they are meant to be. She is gorgeous with long brown hair and light eyes, and it makes me glad to know that because of her, Tom could not be any happier.

Within a month, all the videos are out with MTV, the album is being released, and we all could not be happier. The day we all first heard one of our songs on the radio was truly one to remember. It goes a little something like this...