June 9, 2009 : I will love you better now

"Opo Ma! Bababa na po ako." Richard manages to croak out, yet he takes his precious time going down the stairs.

If I do things right, I may not only get another chance at Maine, I also might help save Ma.

If Richard felt this overwhelming sensation upon hearing his mother's voice after a long time, it was absolutely nothing to how he felt when he saw her standing in their dining area, wearing her favorite apron, laughing at what Riza said. He suddenly felt his eyes start to sting, his tears fighting its way out.

God, I missed you, Mom. So much.

Thank you, Lord for giving me this second chance.

"Tisoy, anak, what are you doing standing there?! Kain na tayo! Mala-late ka na."

He felt as if his heart was going to explode. He almost ran to his mother and embraced her as tightly as he could.

"Hay Ma, namiss kita sobra. "

"Sobrang bolero mo talaga, Rj! Nagovernight ka lang ng isang araw kina Sam ah. May kasalanan ka ba sakin, ha?" His mom teased. She was poking his sides, and he gave her his best smile, the dimple on his left cheek more prominent than ever.

"Nako Ma, baka inaway na naman ni Kuya si Ate Maine! Tapos ngayon LQ sila kaya kulang na naman si Kuya sa pansin."

"Hoy Riza, kung ano-ano na naman sinasabi mo!"

His Mom reached over and touched his face, "Totoo ba yan, Tisoy? Wag mo na awayin si Menggay, ha! Future daughter-in-law ko yan eh, future wife mo rin."

I remember that around this time, I was completely in denial about my feelings for Maine. I used to tell my Mom how Maine and I were just friends, and it should remain that way. I was hell bent on becoming a lawyer, and I used to believe that thoughts like that will just serve as a distraction.

Well, at least that's what I told everybody. But Mom was not having any of it.

It was practically her dying wish that I marry Maine.

But this is my second chance, and I will definitely try to change the course of things.

"Yes Ma. I'll beg and plead if I have to."

His mom did not say anything, but she gave Richard the sweetest smile she could muster, and lightly tapped his left cheek.

"Teka, Kuya Rj! Seryoso ka na dian?" Riza exclaimed, she covered her mouth with her hands in exaggeration.  "Ma, pa-party tayo! Finally hindi na in-denial si Kuya! Monumental to Ma!!!"

Richard shot Riza a glare, slightly scowled at her and finally sat down for breakfast. He was zoning out as he watched his mother plate his food for him--all he wanted to do was remember every detail of her face, commit them to his memory.

Just in case this turns out to be a dream.

"Oh Kuya! Speaking of Ate Maine! Ito oh, she's calling! Pero bakit sa'akin! Baka nga galit sayo!"

Shit. I left my phone upstairs.

She was calling this morning.

Crap, I forgot.

Richard heard Riza talk to Maine over the phone.