Richard's Letter

A/N: Just so we're clear, this was the original letter. 2016 Richard didnt alter it or whatnot 🙃

Dear Menggay,

No, this isn't a birthday letter. I know how you loved writing letters, and for your special day, I thought about how you'd probably love getting one. So no, this will not be filled with the default and cliche greetings and wishes people say during birthdays when you really have nothing else more personal to say. Alam ko our friendship is more than that.

We have been figuratively trapped within the four walls of this place, and the moment we get to the finish line and fulfill our dreams, we can finally start the rest of our lives.

But we're almost there Menggay.

The fulfillment of our dreams is almost at our fingertips, konting tiis na lang. One year na lang, and we'll be taking that exam that will change our lives forever. I can feel it in my gut you know? Sabay tayo magiging abagado. There isn't any other way around it, there is no other reality but that.

Kaya every time na nahihirapan ka na o napapagod, isipin mo na lang na all we ever dreamed for ourselves is everyday slowly becoming a reality. Isipin mo na I'm here with you every step of the way, the same way you are with me.

I owe my love of the law to you.

Alam mo naman na sinubukan ko lang to noon, para kay Ma. She had always hoped and dreamed that I become a lawyer, but at the same time she wanted me to be happy. It wasn't particularly a dream of mine, pero I knew there was no harm in at least giving it a try. Basta para kay Ma, susubukan ko. Sabi ko pa nga, tutal hindi ko pa alam kung ano bang gusto ko talaga gawin sa buhay ko, might as well give it a shot.

But you, you were a different case--this has always been your dream. Granted you never told anyone before you decided to finally go for it. Seeing you work hard in school inspired me, Maine. The past years with you in law school were filled with enthusiasm for the field. I have never met anyone as passionate as you are.

Nakakahawa ka.

And now I'd like to believe that I want this as much as you do.

Kaya sobrang saya ko, kasi sabay natin aabutin yung mga pangarap natin.

And I don't even know how to explain how my mother adores you, but I'm sure you have an idea. She calls you my angel, because when we started hanging out, sabi niya parang nakawitness daw sya ng milagro. Grabe si Ma di ba?

She told me a couple of months after we met about how I somehow transformed into a different person. She told me how I was smiling more, I was less uptight (was I ever?), I was acting more my age. I thought she was just teasing me until the day I told her one of your knock-knock jokes...because she was actually stunned. You should have seen Ma, her eyes were almost bulging out of their sockets and her mouth was open in shock. She said she thought she'd never see the day I actually voluntarily crack a joke.

And I found it hard to take mom seriously, because I couldn't even remember how I acted like before.

Don't laugh, okay?

But I'm pretty sure you made my life exciting again.

You helped me in more ways I can count, and in more ways other people may not understand.

See, kaya kapag sinasabi ko sayo na isa ka sa mga favorite kong tao sa mundo, don't roll your eyes on me, dont shush me, and don't hit me repeatedly (you might be tiny but you pack a punch, baka lang hindi mo alam), because I might tease you day in and day out, but I do mean it.

In the years that we've been friends, a lot has changed. But there are two things that I will always be certain of.

Ikaw at ako.

We will always be constant.

I don't know if I ever told you, but I have always felt like we were sort of wired for each other. You know how they say that sometimes, people come into our lives and despite not exactly knowing why, we know right away that they were meant to be there? Sometimes we instantly know--this person is meant to be in my life somehow. In all honesty, that was what I felt the first day I saw you.

And I'm so thankful that I followed my gut that day, that I went out of my comfort zone. Kilala mo ko Maine, I always think before I act, I always do things with purpose, that much is still true today--but the day we met, I made an exception.

I guess its just my fancy way of telling you how you're stuck with me and I'm stuck with you.

Here's to hanging out for the rest of our lives!

P.S. Yan ha, wag mo na ever sabihin sa akin na I never "wrote" you anything! Ha! 😂

Your pain in the ass,
Rj