November 18, 2009: Gotta Have You

A/N: This chapter was inspired by "Gotta Have You" by The Weepies 😊

Oh and Maine / Richard 🙃

*******

It was mid-November, and they were having their last set of midterms exams for the semestral. Richard had his last exam a couple of hours ago, and headed to the library to meet up with Maine and the rest of their friends. They were all going at for a couple of celebratory drinks after their exams.

He reaches the long table near the books on Political Law and sees their friends, but no Maine.

"Oh! Rj! You're done? Pare, kamusta Consti midterms mo?"

"Je, okay naman. Mukhang makakalusot." Rj replied, wiggling his brows at his friends.

"Sorry naman sayo, boy genius!" Val replied, rolling her eyes at him. "Wag ka na nga magulo, we only have two hours before we meet our maker."

"OA mo Val ha! Teka, where's Maine?"

Jerald puckers his lips and points to the right. "Ayun, nagsolo dun sa corner. Puntahan mo dali! She was practically hyperventilating earlier."

Maine hated Political law, and she had the hardest time at that. She even went to the extent of working for a law firm that did not offer services related to that particular area.

Oh crap. Now I remember.

We were in our first year, and Maine's class had a killer professor, he was known to fail at least half of his freshmen students.

He walks over to where Jerald told him Maine was and found her slumped over her books, slightly banging her head on the desk in front of her.

She was about to bang her head on the desk one more time when she felt warm palms catch her reddening forehead.

"Meng."

Maine felt as if her stomach was doing back backflips.

Oh Rj, I almost hate how I love the way you say my name.

Shit. What am I saying?! Get a hold of yourself, woman! Don't you dare have these feelings for your best friend.

Thud. Thud. Thud.

How the hell do I stop my heart from beating this erratically?

I don't have time for this. I have this killer exam in two hours. Richard stop making my heart flutter, please.

"Rj, please not now. I'm dying here."

Maine felt goosebumps when Richard reached over and ran his hands over her back, attempting to calm her down.

"I know, Maine." He gently placed his hands on her shoulders, and turned them so she could face him. "You've got this, okay. We reviewed together, alam ko na kaya mo to. Don't overanalyze and be direct to the point. There is no way you can fail, Maine."

"We don't know that Rj!!! Our professor has a reputation! Half of the class! Remember? And he threatened us that he could fail more people. I don't think my ego could take it if I fail, Rj. I don't want to fail. Dapat sabay tayo, di ba? And if I fail, then...."