August 27, 2013: The longer I run, the less that I find

Richard has been cooped up in their corner of the library the whole day. He and Maine had this small corner in the school's library where they studied day in and day out since they began reviewing for the bar examinations. They more or less had a whole cycle working for them since the end of May.

So why aren't you here today, Maine?

He looks forlornly at the empty chair beside him, at her books piled up in the corner, and her bright yellow pencil case, filled to the brim with pens and highlighters. She even had the hoodie she nicked from his own closet neatly folded on top of the desk. Practically all of her things were beside him, but she wasn't.

Asan ka, Maine?

People would visibly see him slaving over his books and papers--if they only knew, all the pages he flipped were futile attempts. Since the morning encounter with Maine at the cafeteria, he couldn't find the focus to actually review. He made countless attempts of calling her, only to be shut down. He also sent several messages, only to be replied with uncharacteristically curt replies. He spent an hour or two aimlessly walking around campus, in the hopes of bumping into her, but she was nowhere to be found.

I'm positive she saw me. She was half way inside the cafeteria, I was at our usual corner near the windows. Our eyes locked for a second or so, I swear it.

Alam kong nakita niya ako.

Then why would she abruptly turn around and walk back out? Did I do something? May nangyari ba?

No.

This can't be happening. This isn't supposed to be happening again.

What's happening, Maine? Why won't you talk to me?

Maine, the last time this happened, I let you do it. I was too focused on other things, I let you pull yourself away from me. I didn't even had the courage to ask you or anyone else why.

But no, not this time.

He didn't want to resort to this, but Richard was desperate. He grabs his phone and calls Valeen.

********

After waiting for an hour, Valeen finally arrives and sets her things down on top of his opened criminal law book.

"What's all this about, Faulkerson? Anong emergency yan at talagang nagmakaawa ka pang dumaan ako dito before going home?"

Richard closes his eyes and rubs his temples, "Valeen, may nangyari ba kay Menggay? Why has she been avoiding me the whole day? Buong araw ko syang tinatawagan, tinetext. Pero ayaw niya akong kausapin."

He notices how Val's eyes widened and he gave her this incredulous look--Richard knew that look. She was trying her hardest not to burst out and tell him off in public. He sees her visibly try to calm herself down, then she answers, "Seryoso ka ba diyan Richard? You don't remember the things you said last night?"

What the hell did I do last night? What happened?!?

"No. I don't Val. I would not be asking you like this if I did."

Valeen stops, closes her eyes and sighs audibly, she concluded that Richard must have been too drunk to remember the things he said and unfortunately, the things Maine overheard last night. "You, Richard, infuriate the hell out me."

"Teka nga Valeen, bakit ba galit ka? Ano bang ginawa ko sayo?"

"Richard, sakin wala. Pero forgive me for finding my best friend being limited by you utterly infuriating." She starts to pick up her things, "Pwede ba, sa susunod na mag-usap kayo ng kagaguhan ni Je, siguaruhin niuo muna na walang ibang tao."