The King's Decision

~9~

The King’s Decision

Leland the next day, had to go to the daily morning sword practice, which usually Audreana attended, but instead, she went on a fruitless attempt to talk the King into letting her go home, again. He told her that he was still thinking about it and that he would let her know when he had decided. After which, he told her that he was royally upset that she had left his son alone, when he had assigned her to watch over him. She let him know that he was in good hands with Kendra, but he told her that she needed to get back to his son, for if anything happened to him that it would have been on her skin, not Kendra’s. So, off Audreana went to relieve Kendra of her duty.

When Audreana arrived down at the field, she walked over to her good friend Kendra, and began to vent, “He doesn’t think that my needs are important!” said the young girl with an angry tone. She made an awkward sound in her throat, “He doesn’t understand that my brother could be dead by now, but no he acts as if his son is in trouble. He doesn’t realize that here he is safe.”

“Don’t worry about it Audrey, I am sure he will come to his senses,” she said, patting the young Dweller on the back, before she left the field to go back and do her Dweller duties.

Leland finally, came over when he had a break, “What’s the matter?” the sweaty Prince asked.

Audreana just gave him a look, “Nothing that can not be handled,” she said.

“That is not what I asked.”

Audreana gave him a questioned look, “Grab your sword and you can find out,” smiled the young Dweller, her hand going straight to the halt of her sword. She smiled bigger as she pulled out the long blade from the scabbard letting it ring in the quite air. He too smiled as she cocked her head, testing to see if he would be brave enough to try and take her.

“Oh, so you want to fight now, gee, all I asked was what was wrong and now you want to fight?” he paused as his grin grew bigger. “Women,” he paused dramatically. “The animal men will never understand,” he laughed joking around, as he too equipped himself with his sword, pointing it in her direction.

Audreana made the first hit with great fiery, that almost threw the Prince to the floor. She using the anger that she got from his father against him. Otherwise, she would have never acted so violent toward the Prince. Her sword was pushing hard toward the Prince’s face, as he tried hard to push back. He looked at her with a shocked expression; he had never seen her act like that in his whole life. However, it was not a bad thing because he knew now how strong she was without her magic. It was a nice change. He was used to her taking it easy on him. That never did help him, because if he weren’t at least trying then he would never get better at sword fighting. So, he smiled, and brought his mind back to the fight. He was still in the position with Audreana bringing her sword towards his face. Leland countered it by pulling his sword down towards the ground forcing her sword to go down with his. She smiled at his defenses, but it was not going to help him much.

A crowd had gathered around the two now watching as their battle went on. Most of them were students, who had been in their own private battles. They were watching and cheering for it had been a very long time since anyone had dared to challenge the Prince. In fact the last one was Troy, who lost. It was different to see someone challenging the Prince; most were to scared to even fight near him. They knew that he was one of the best fighters among them. Plus, he was the Prince, they would be afraid to hurt him.

Audreana smiled over at the others, watching them, as she felt the rage flow through her veins. She knew not to let it take over all of her, for she knew that if it did then Leland would no longer live after their battle. Instead, she stored the rage away as she brought her sword sweeping up to contact with his blade with a loud clag. His sword was pushed just like hers had been down to the ground; only he knew better ways to bring it up.