The Black Forest

~ 5 ~

The Black Forest

Captain Abbott heard Gwyn cry for Audreana to stay awake. He knew she wouldn’t wake. The men they were fighting were getting harder to see, because they kept disappearing and reappearing. They fought to kill now; they were no longer there to stall them.

Suddenly, an arrow pierced into one of the men and they burst to flames. Arrows came flying left and right hitting the mysterious men in the back. By the time the Captain realized what was going on, the men were already dead. The Captain, held back his crew and watched as a group on adults came walking to them, “Careful,” he hissed. “Stay behind me,” he said raising his sword.

The leader was the first to come into view; “Jaden?” the Captain questioned, lowering his weapon. He looked at the man in shock as he came into view, he smiled ironically.

The others came into view. Some looked like normal humans, but they were not. They were shape-shifters. They turned into other forms other than their own. The others were pale with pure black eyes. They had longer ears and blonde hair. They were Dark Elves. They had been the elves that caught the disease before they had taken leave to the magical forests. Those were the ones that Ace had taken to try and cure. Unfortunately, when he did so he put them in between life and death, so they were not longer living, but not dead either.

“Captain, you should not be here. Dangers linger here lately,” he paused when he saw Audreana lying there, “What is she doing here?” He questioned. He looked at her condition and frowned deeply.

“She's wounded!”

“Aiden…” he was interrupted.

“Please tell me he did not send her,” whispered the man. He stuck his bow over his shoulder. He went to her, and looked at the arrow in her side. It wasn’t in too deep, so he reached out and pulled it. He then, put a clothe around her stomach to keep it from bleeding.

“He did.”

Jaden got up and walked over to the Captain. He still had the arrow in his hands. He frowned deeply, “She is okay, it didn’t go in too deep.”

The Dark Elves moved toward her and got on their knees and bowed, “What are they doing?” asked Gwyn.

Jaden looked at her with a frown, “Bowing.”

“Why?”

The man smiled, “They are honoring their kin.”

“That’s why,” whispered Gwyn, so only she could hear. She knew now why she was different.

Jaden looked around the area for a moment. He was silent, but only for a little bit, “We must move. It’s not safe here for you,” he said, as one of his men handed him the arrows that he had shot.

“We left camp back at the lake,” said the Captain. His eyes wondered over to Audreana, who was lying on the ground.

“Good,” announced Jaden.

Two of the elves brought a carry over to Audreana. They lightly picked her up and put her on. They pulled up on the edges as the same time and began to step together, “Come, I will take you as far as the lake, after that you are on your own.”

“Thank you Jaden.”

Leland ran down the hallway, it was around two in the morning, guards were everywhere, running like Leland to get to their destination. Leland still wore his old riding clothes, he had been woken early to hear the news, and he had grabbed something quickly to dress himself. The worry of his closest friend, grew deeper as the night grew on, and the search party still hadn't arrived yet. “Troy!” Leland roared loudly, but there was no response. “Have you seen Troy?” he asked the closet soldier, who shook his head. “Goddammit!” Leland swore.