Within the storm

~ 1 ~

Within the Storm

The sun had begun sinking down behind the trees, as the almost full moon rose. With the bright moon came the color change of the sky. It was no longer baby blue, it was changing into a very dark blue, almost black, with bright white stars a lining where they should be, showing the unknown universe beyond. The pale moon shone, as if seeking someone out, like something or someone was stuck in the darkness, unable to find the way out. No clouds filled the sky giving it an open, endless feeling.

The land was still. The forest that just came into view of the shinning moon was unusually quiet. The fields green grass, however, showed signs of a different wind coming in. At first, the wind was steady, but then it began to pick up, not because of a storm, for there was no clouds in the nighttime sky. The breeze began making the air feel cool, with an autumn smell flying throughout Tegan. 

The wind picked up, as the trees and grass began to go, swiftly, with the currents. It was a strange type of wind, for unlike a normal current which blew in one direction,  the one that had began blew in all directions, making the grass flow in confusing directions, as if winds came at it at all sides crashing into one another causing the grass to dance in a circular motion. The wind made it hard to ride in, but a rider rode through it regardless, determined to get where they were heading. 

Abruptly, it stopped as if the appearance of the rider threatened to reveal the mage behind it. Audreana rode up to the hill, then dismounted. Her long curly black hair lay tangled on her shoulders from the long ride. Her hair was so black, that that the moon’s beams were almost sucked into the darkness. Her eyes, however, gave her a more natural look, they were bright green cat-like eyes that shone almost as bright as the stars did. The dress she wore was a dark blue, almost the color of the sky. It was very elegant and swayed with her small movements. The hem of the dress tickled the bottom of her ankle allowing a smile to creep through the sadness.

The woman, however, was not a normal rider that passed that way. She was a great woman, that many knew, and many loved, but she only loved one man, one man she knew she could never have.

The ride to the hill was not unknown to her, tho she had only been to the hill in the middle of the field twice in her lifetime. Both times were different; both times had been when she was different, when she hadn’t known what it meant to be a Dweller.

Dwellers were humans made with a large amount of magic within them. They had been created in the time of the Great War, which happened three ages ago, by the mage Damek, who at the time, was the King of Elixir. After the war the Dwellers continued to be born; the magic was passed down through the families’ generations after generations. Even though they were created by a mage, they were seen and thought of as greatly stronger and more powerful then mages were. Mages were similar to that of a Dweller; only they were more independent, because they did not have that connection to the Elixir King. The connection was so small but big enough for the Dwellers to stay loyal. That magic was what made the Dwellers so strong, because they had something to fight for. The magical beings could do a number of things no one else could do. They could disappear from view, transport to other places, walk through objects, and control the elements. With these powers they were considered one of the most powerful people in all of Tegan. When a Dweller would turn seven or eight depending on their strength, the powers would appear, and when they turned thirteen the child was able to go out on missions. With those abilities the young nineteen-year-old girl could feel the magic that the wind had been created by, which was now was gradually dying away.

Beside her stood her horse, which was black with a white diamond shape on her forehead; Diamond was her name. They had been together for a while now, and they had grown to love each other very much. She was one of the strongest and healthiest horses that Elixir had; Audreana saw to that.