A Lesson in History

~ 7 ~

A Lesson in History

The sun was rising over the Elixir Wood, as the church’s bells rang out seven times. This allowed the people of Elixir to know that the day would soon be starting. That hour was one in which everyone would awake to, it was the hour everyone down in the town opened their shops to, the hour everyone became active again. The town came alive during this part of the day, for the Elixirns getting up early was part of their life. This hour, however was not the one in which Audreana got up to that morning. She had gotten up at the fifth hour of the morning, so that she could make it to the morning classes at the sixth hour with her new assignment, Leland.

The young Dweller had gotten up early, for she had to be at the dinning room with Leland at half way through the fifth hour. She had the assignment to protect Prince Leland with her life. It wasn’t a very hard thing to do, because nothing would happen to him in the castle. She was so sure of this; that she had taken the matter up with the King, but he still told her the same thing, “Watch over my son.” This was not an order like she often got, this was a plea.

When she had finished getting ready, Audreana went to the north wing on the third floor to where Leland’s suite was located. She stood before his door with the two guards eyeing her with questioned faces. The one she knew was Richard, he was the one on the left side of the door. He had short black hair, with streaks of gray. His eyes were light gray that looked at her with mirth in them. He gave her a small smile, “What would you be doing over in this part of the castle?” he asked.

Audreana rolled her eyes with anger. She had been down to that part of the castle a number of times when she was younger. That was how she had met Richard, but ever since she got real assignments, she and Leland had drifted apart, she didn't go that way much anymore, after all he was the prince; he didn't have time for play anymore. She sighed loudly, “I have been down here before Richard, don’t pretend that I haven’t,” she paused. “I am here to escort the Prince to the morning meal.”

The both of the soldiers laughed at her, “A Dweller is escorting the Prince to the dinning room!” They roared with laughter. For some reason they thought that was extremely funny, “You ain’t high enough in the ranks to be escorting the Prince any where,” said the other soldier.

Before Audreana had time to think, she reached out and grabbed the soldier’s shirt. She ripped him up off his feet and against the wall with anger. He looked down at her with a shocking expression, “I was only joking,” he called.

Suddenly, the door to Leland’s room was opened with a small creaking. Leland stood there with shock, as he glanced upon Audreana’s strength. He laughed, “I sure hope you soldiers are just going easy on my guard there,” Leland said with a smile, as he shut the door behind him.

“Aye, Sire,” they said in unison.

Finally, Audreana let the soldier down. She smiled, politely and put out her hand in front of him, “Audreana,” she said as he took her hand. “It’s nice to meet you, but next time do not hesitate to attack. Someone could die the way you two day dream,” she gave on last mock smile before she turned and began down the hallway without the Prince.

The classrooms for Leland’s classes were located in the west wing in one of the towers. There were at least ten rooms and only half of them were used daily. The library was the most part of the west wing. The arrangement for the west wing was incredible. The library was all five stories high, with only one floor. The shelves went up incredibly high with long ladders that went the whole way to the top. Two towers were at the corners of the library that faced the outside. The wall on the inside of the towers, that faced the library was cut away, so that the rooms could be seen from the library. Stairs went up around the sides of the rooms keeping up the rooms from the falling.