Chapter Nine

On an Island in the Pacific Ocean May 20th 2032

My first thought as I stood in the small clearing surrounded by tall trees was, "Ok this is bad."

I immediately bent down to smack the covering that had opened for me to enter into this test. It was gone. All that remained was a small patch of grass. That matched every other patch of grass in the entire clearing.

Oh no.

"Let me out! I changed my mind!" I yelled into the empty space.

I waited for an answer. Any answer at all. Nothing.

Then static filled the air and I winced, looking around for the source of the noise.

"Hello kiddies." It was Dr. Chip. His voice echoed out around the trees. "Welcome to the test. It now begins and Michael there is no backing out. Not now. Not ever. I pray you all do your best and I sure hope no one dies. Good luck!" His voice fizzled out.

Shoot. There was my answer.

I looked around giving the place a good comb over for any poisonous looking plants or weird creatures. Nothing, thank goodness. I walked forward and found the chest he had spoken of earlier. It was large wooden with no lock of any kind. I felt like I was in a video game and I just had to survive. Except this definitely wasn't any game.

I opened it without any difficulty and all I found was a single backpack. Nothing else, no note, no explanation or any kind of assistance. Well that doesn't help at all.

I picked up the bag and I found it was a lot heavier than I expected. What was in this thing?

I quickly flipped it open and found a few things. The first thing I found was that there was a first aid kit strapped to the inside of the pack. A small amount of rope also was stored neatly in a little compartment. I found a kit filled with food and I looked it over. All dried foods or otherwise vacuum sealed. Must be so it didn't go bad during the test.

Nothing else that I could see in that pouch. On top a tent and sleeping bag were strapped. Great they expected us to have more than one day on this torture island. Just peachy.

There was only one more pouch and it was pretty small on the front of the pack. I unzipped expecting some random tool like a lighter or something but instead I was surprised. My GlasChip! At least I assumed it was mine. I pulled it out and held it. Only one way to find out.

"Maria?" I asked out loud feeling slightly foolish.

"I'm here Michael." Maria's face surfaced from the black screen the background behind her turning to my favourite shade of green.

"What can you do to help me?" I asked quickly.

"I can give you as much information as I can on all people in the test. I can update my information on creatures as we come across them but even I do not know anything about any of the creatures or plants. If I were to get a look at them I might be able to help." Maria said. It was so weird for this phone like thing to be acting so human like. "Other questions I will tell you if I can answer them or not."

"Ok give me a rundown on all the people after the fifteenth fight, cause I was knocked out." I told her.

"First is Abigail. She like Wolfe and Kitten has no last name. In the fight she used a powerful wind force bashing all competitors." Maria's face vanished showing a woman who looked like Natera, with brown hair that was a little longer than her shoulders. She had a small scar down her right cheek.

"Next was Jill Cane. Sister to Mary Cane she was just your standard fighter however she did use different methods of martial arts." This woman had a very angular face and her hair was pulled back in a extremely tight seeming ponytail. I didn't like the looks of that one.