Chapter Twelve

Somewhere on an Island in the Pacific Ocean May 21st 2032

12:30 AM

"So, what's going on?" Anna asked as we ran. I was getting better at this whole running to everywhere routine although my body wasn't.

"Natera is in some kind of danger." I said between breaths.

"Girlfriend?" Gabby asked softly.

"No, more like a little sister." I answered her honestly. I would never forgive myself if I let her get hurt.

"Ah, so this is of grave importance." Anna frowned at this revelation. "I will try my best to save her."

"Me too." Gabby agreed.

"Wells, its super important to me." I huffed.

Just as I thought we would never make it to her in nearly enough time we broke through the brush to a small clearing beside a river. Before I even got the chance to catch my breath, a figure flew backwards in front of my eyes.

He hit the tree and I recognized the shirtless boy as John, Travis's friend.

"You'll pay for that ya scum." John said sourly his British accent really coming out in his anger.

I looked to see who he spoke of and standing there was Kristoph, in all his muscular glory. His fists clenched in anger he growled at John. His brown hair was short and sticking up messily as if they had been fighting a while or maybe just hadn't bathed for a while.

John ran at him and jumped forward punching the big boy across the face making him tumble backwards. He grabbed John's smaller body in his large hands slamming him to the dirt. They traded blows and I forced my eyes away from the spectacle. There perched precariously was Natera in a tree. She clung tightly her eyes wide with fear.

"Hang on Natera I'm coming for you!" I called to her. I saw her nod and my hopes brightened for she seemed to be unharmed.

"Get away." Suddenly Kristoph's lumbering form towered behind me and before I could turn his huge hand swatted me like a fly knocking the wind out of me. I flew back sliding in the dirt beside the river.

John leapt at him again hitting him hard. He fell back but he turned in mid fall seeing Gabby. His eyes lit up and he grinned.

"Gabby fight with me." Kristoph said in a deep Russian accent.

"I..." Gabby didn't say anything and stood still looking at me then Kristoph.

"What you waiting for?" Kristoph said frowning.

"I won't." She whispered so quietly I barely heard it.

"What?"

Gabby, without another word grabbed Kristoph around the waist and charged towards the river. Straight towards me. I rolled quickly out of the way, just as she threw him head first into the cold water. His arms came floundering up trying to swim but the current was too strong. It soon pulled him away only his distant Russian curses could be heard.

"Gabby?" I said getting up out of the dirt.

"I had no choice." Gabby said softly.

John began to clap and I saw that Anna had climbed up into the tree. Natera shakily clung to her as she slid down safely hitting the ground.

"Are you ok Natera?" I asked running to her embracing her in a tight hug.

"I thought I was going to die." Natera said muffled into my shirt.