Chapter 15

10:17 AM

My heart pounded in my ears as I stared up at the beast of a man before me. He leaned down easily squatting to where I lay on the ground. He opened his mouth and breathed deeply and I could smell the rotten flesh on his breath.

"So, boy what is it going to be?" He snarled and his lips curled, revealing yellowed fang like canines.

"Well you can't just kill him." I squeaked out terrified.

"Oh, I can't?" At this he laughed, casually reaching out an arm.

Gar gasped in reaction and struggled on the soil, his arms flopping about.

"Stop!"

"You have no idea what has gone down between the two of us. You cannot just try and demand what you want." Wolfe snarled.

I lay there speechless not sure what to do anymore. He had the upper hand. If the man wanted to we could both be dead in a matter of moments. The trees around us in the clearing seemed so serene all of a sudden. The wind not stirring, the grass was still. The pile of boulders we had seen the girls head protrude from was silent and I thought for a moment she was gone until I saw a small head poke up and disappear.

"How about this." Wolfe started releasing Gar. "You boys kill this fish freak. I let you live. He kills you, and I kill him. Sound fair?"

"No! Not fair!" Ryan said alarmed moving to get up, but before he stood Wolfe had him pinned to the ground with a gravity push.

"I was asking Michael." Wolfe looked me in the eye and I just stared back. What was I supposed to say?

"I could make it easy and kill all of you." Wolfe shrugged as if killing teenage boys was not a big effort nor did it matter.

"We'll do it." I said quietly.

"Good. Now just stay in this clearing. No running or anything because if you do I will just hunt you down and all of this will be for nothing." Wolfe stood releasing Ryan. He vanished into the trees ponytail swinging and I moved to Ryan.

"This won't be easy." Ryan said opening his visor fully looking me in the eyes with his stormy grey orbs.

"I know. What other choice did I have?"

"It is fine. I have already formulated a plan. Just keep him distracted for a moment." Ryan nodded to me the visor already slipping back over his head now revealing only his one eye.

"Hey fish legs!" I yelled getting the attention of the wounded Gar. He stood slowly to his feet wobbling, obviously hurt badly.

"I will eat you both. And live." He growled and I saw his teeth had been broken. His lips dribbled blood and sweat glistened from his bald head. The man was insane. I wasn't going to lose.

I picked up my broken blaster and held it by the crushed barrel. I ran at him without thinking swinging the blaster with a ferocity I didn't even know I possessed. The handle connected to his bald head and he staggered sliding to the left his hands wildly trying to grab something.

He stopped hunched down, a palm down to the ground steadying himself.

"You want to play boy?" He spit and several teeth flew out of his mouth and he grinned maniacally. "Let's play."

I got ready to defend myself but before I even moved, Gar was there backhanding me. I flew backwards landing hard again. Was this man not able to feel pain?

"Stand back Michael! I am ready!" Ryan called out and I looked to see him run forward metal clanking. He lashed out with his leg trying to catch Gar by surprise. However, the tough man was ready. He grabbed the leg and tossed Ryan like he was weightless swinging him behind.