Chapter 9

A/N: there's some ~light~ smut in this chapter so..... Just a warning

-------------------------------------------------------

It was the next day, and after a lot of tossing and turning during the night, a very sleep deprived Joe made his way to his kitchen, his steps faltering a little.

If he walked one more step, he'd be in the kitchen. Out in the open for Caspar to see. Caspar, who lives just next door and who is very much frustrated at Joe, but can't stay away from him even if he wanted.

It was as if their paths were meant to cross. Call it destiny, or call it fate. It was annoying anyway. At least for Joe. He really had the worst luck.

He stepped into the kitchen, and out of the corner of his eye he saw a blur of skin moving in the other apartment. Was Caspar a fan of walking around half naked? Why didn't he have a shirt on?

It's was too fucking early for Joe to obsess over things that would end in a quick trip to the bathroom, so he just poured himself some milk on his bowl of cereal and ate his breakfast in his room like a coward.

It was 7:15am, he had only 15 minutes to get to work before his sister freaks out, so he quickly grabbed his keys and some money and ran into the elevator, which happened to be particularly slow today.

Joe groaned, tapping his foot against the floor repeatedly. He knew it wouldn't make the damn thing go any faster, but he could try.

When he finally reached the parking lot, he realized it wasn't empty as he had stupidly assumed. Someone was yelling profanities at a car. Someone who happened to be his neighbor.

Joe slowed down his pace, trying not to make too much noise that would startle the already panicking Caspar. The poor boy had a terrified expression on his face, and he was whimpering quietly.

It was very obvious what the problem was: the car with a flat tire Joe had spotted yesterday belonged to him. And he had less than 20 minutes to get to work.

Caspar spotted Joe, a silent plea in his eye that Joe wanted to refuse to but couldn't.

"Get in car" he ordered, and Caspar wasted no time.

Once inside, things got a bit awkward.

None of them talked much, and they avoided looking in each other's way. It was as if they tried to create a wall between them, but then it happened.

A car turned the corner fast, too fast. And Joe was much too focused on other things to see him.

Luckily,  Caspar was paying attention and in one skilled movement the reached forward and swerved the steering wheel, his torso shielding Joe from what could have been a disastrous accident.

Joe panted slightly, hands resting on the steering wheel, close to Caspar's.

"We could've died" he whispered, and Caspar didn't dare look at his face, didn't dare move, scared any movement would bring him back to that moment.

Slowly, not saying anything, Caspar reached out with his pinky to touch Joe's own. And Joe, even if confused and angry at Caspar, reciprocated. He held tight on his pinky as he caught his breath.

Caspar decided then that it would be good to call Zoe and tell her they would be arriving late.

As he studied Joe's white knuckles, he dialed the number. He hadn't expected Joe to snatch the phone from his hand, his fingertips landing softly on top of his, but moving away quickly.

Once the call was done and Zoe was reassured they were safely parked a few blocks from the office, Joe turned to Caspar and thanked him, and Caspar answered the only way he knew how.