Chapter 5: Awakening

5- Awakening

   I was browsing through a fairytale book my father used to read me from in the evenings.I was little back then, thus I was getting all of Dad's attention, even if he was busy with his duties.So, in the evenings, he would read me a story about one of the Nine Realms.

  My favourite was about Midgard.Humans seemed so different from us, Asgardians, it simply fascinated me.

  Once in a while, I would ask him about my mother.Each time, a sad, but fond smile crossed his features.

  "Your mother is on a journey."

  "Daddy, when will she return ?"

  "I do not know, sweetie.She still has things to do there."

  As I grew up, I finally got what Dad was trying to say.Mum wasn't alive anymore.I wasn't shocked, but it still hurt.

  Dad became busier by day and I was left in Frigga's care.But I soon became bored of following the Queen of Asgard around.

That's when Loki would sneak up on me and pull a prank.I remember my laughter everytime he did so.He was very funny in my little self's eyes.

   Over time, Loki and I became really close.

Loki I thought.

Just then, there was a knock on my door.

  "Enter." I called.

   The door opened slowly, revealling Lady Sif.

  "Lady Sif." I greeted.She knelt in front of me.

  "Princess."

   "No need for formalities.If I may ask, what brings you here ?"

   "Me and the Warriors Three were thinking of persuading Loki on bringing your father back."

  My eyes widened."I'll come too ! Loki will listen to me, I know it."

  Sif laughed.We left my room and soon met up with Fandral, Hogun and Volstagg.

  "Princess." They bowed.

  "I don't think you bow everytime you see my father, so please do the same with me." I told them with a kind smile.

  "Let's go to the Throne Room !" Hogun suggested.

  We were let in by the two guards.Loki was standing on the throne, dressed in his armour.He had the scepter in one hand and he was resting his chin on the other.He was watching us with a bored expression.

   We stopped in front of the throne.The Warriors Three and Lady Sif knelt.

  "Our king." They said in unison.Loki grinned at the sigh.

   I didn't bow or anything.I could never see Loki as a king.He was still just my uncle.

  He cocked an eyebrow at me and got up, sighing.

  "My dear Tyara, why would you not bow, at least ?"

  "You're my uncle, Loki, and my friend.Nothing more." I said carefully.

   I could feel the tip of his scepter on my chin.He forced my head up and stared into my eyes.

   "Kneel now, for I'm your king." Although that was a command, his voice was gentle.

  I finally obeyed, which made him smile contently."Why do I owe this pleasure of having you here ?"

  "Loki, we're here to request your forgiveness for our friend, your brother.Please listen to our pleads and bring him back !" Lady Sif spoke.

Loki laughed half-heartedly."What king would I be if I overstepped my predecessor's will ?"

  I looked up at him."Please, Loki.I need my father, I feel lonely again." I begged.

  His expression softened, but he still shook his head.He turned to the others."Leavs us alone ! I need to talk to the Princess."

  They gave me a worried glance before leaving.Now the only beings in the room were Loki and I.

  My uncle looked down at me, for he was taller and I was still kneeing.He helped me to my feet.

  "Tyara, you know full well why my brother has been banished.I can't do a thing for him."

  "I know, but didn't lie, Loki.I'm really lonely and now, I don't have you to keep me company.You must know the feeling of being alone."

   It seemed I struck a cord.Loki's eyes darkened.

  "I know very well." His skin turned blue and covered in strange markings.As for his eyes, they were now solid red.

  I recognized the features. Frost Giant.

"Look at me ! Do you think a monster like myself can ever feel anything other than loneliness ?!" He yelled.

  I wanted to tell him he wasn't a monster but the words drowned in my neck.

"I was never destined for the throne, Tyara ! I was merely a tool ! Odin's tool ! You can't possibly understand that !"

  I finally realized what was the secret Odin has been keeping from him.I felt sorry for Loki, but I knew he didn't need my pity.

"I don't, you're right.But don't shout at me ! It's not like it's my fault, Loki !" I shouted, grabbing his arm.

He was cold, as usual, compared to me.He pulled away and winced as stream rose from his skin.He now had a burn mark.

  This is the second time.What's happening ?

  Loki's eyes widened.It was like my insides caught on fire.I suddenly felt feverish and collapsed.

  "Guards ! I need help !" He called.

   It was the last thing I'd heard before passing out.

A/N: I hope you liked this chapter.

  What do you think it's happening to Tyara ? What do you think will happen next ?