≼ Chapter 4 ≽

Hal, Karen, and I had been scouting and scavenging stores around where we passed checking for food or any other supplies we would need. Karen and I were inside a Foodmart looking through the shelves.

"Do you like Hal?" Karen suddenly asked.

"What?" I asked, confused why she would even ask that.

"You know...Do you like want to be Hal's girlfriend? I mean you're always around him." She stated. I started laughing.

"You're funny Karen. Me and Hal? Yeah no. That will never happen." I laughed.

"Is he out of your league you think?"

"What? No. Look, Karen, I'm sure he's told you this. But Hal is a brother to me. Our families have known each other for a long time. I don't like him in that way and I never will. You have nothing to worry about. It's not flirting anyways. It's a little sibling like bantering."

"Then what about Ben? You two seemed to more than like each other."

"That's Ben. Not Hal. Look, The Mason's have been nothing but helpful for me and my siblings ever since this whole thing started. My dad is always out scouting other camps and stuff and I don't know if he's gonna make it back. And that scares me because I don't know what I would do with Caden and Delaney because we've already lost our mom, and we might lose Jackson. The Mason's have been like our family and it's going to be that way for a long time." We heard the sound of a bike engine approaching. We looked out the doors to see Hal.

"Everything okay in there?" Hal shouted out. I walked out. A slight limp still in my step.

"Just Peachy keen. The store's picked clean though." I winced as I stood and swung my leg over my bike seat and sat down. "By the way, I was right about your girlfriend being borderline jealous," I muttered to Hal.

"Maybe only with you. I mean your the only other girl I'm around all the time besides her." He guessed. I shrugged.

"And Lourdes. But, it's just one of those annoying things. You know? Like it's something I would never do and she won't let off on the subject." I sighed before starting my bike and taking off.

---

I reached the temporary camp and stopped by the store waving to my dad and Tom before I spotted Caden and Matt. I made my way over to them. They were sitting on the bed on one of the .50 caliber trucks. I turned the key, shutting my bike off.

"What's up buddy?" I asked Caden. He shrugged.

"Did Maia give you one of the books I found for you?' He nodded.

"It's in my bag." It was silent for a couple seconds before he spoke again. "Why is dad never around us?" Caden asked.

"Dad has a very important job. He makes sure people from other camps are safe. He knows what he's doing. And he loves us very much."

"Like Jay? Is Dad gonna disappear like Jay?"

"No...dad won't disappear like him. I promise once we settle, Hal, Tom and I, We will find Ben and Jay. Alright?" He nodded, giving me a hug.

"What's goin on with you, Matt?"

"It's the 8th... My party... Dad said we are gonna do something once we get settled, but I know he's gonna forget. He's too busy fighting the Skitters and stuff. Hal too."

"I know your dad won't forget. He'll remember. He's just working hard with my dad to keep our whole group safe," I said, patting his knee as I turned around to my bike.

"If Ben were here, he'd be with me. He'd give me something." I stopped and turned back to Matt and Caden. I sighed.

"I'm sure he would. Jackson would probably steal it from you, and break it. Then Ben would get mad, but you would be happy anyways because he tried, and Jackson made it funny. We will be happy soon. I know it."