≼ Chapter 11 ≽

I was in the room cleaning up some stuff in the room with Maia's help.

"I'll see you in the gym, maybe?" Maia smiled at me. I nodded.

"Yeah, yeah. See yah." I smiled at her once more before she exiting the room. I went over giving Hal a hug. He then walked over sitting on the couch. "So how did things go today?" I asked.

"Well for one it was pretty boring and almost torture without you. I got a couple dad talks." Hal chuckled a bit.

"Bad ones?" I smiled. He chuckled before shaking his head.

"Nah, just trying to play mom. I have to give him credit, he's really trying to help me with everything. He knows he's not as good as my mom."

"I mean it should just matter that he's trying," I said. I took a seat on the arm of the couch, leaning my elbows on my knees.

"So what went on with you today?" He asked.

"Well, I got to explore a little more of the school with Maia. Actually sit down and eat something. Although I had to hobble around on crutches all day."

"That's rough." I shrugged.

"Wasn't as bad as using a wheelchair all day would've been. It was just Anne's precaution so I didn't get my leg injured anymore. But she said by morning it should be a little better, and the tender and sensitive skin feeling should go away. But my bruised bones will take a couple days but she thinks I'll be just fine."

"You're about as tough as a rock. I'm sure you'll be just fine tomorrow."

"Sometimes I'm that tough. Other times I'm just the little 14-year-old girl I should be, instead of a soldier killing Skitters and Mech's."

"I think you make a better soldier than a normal student. I think it's changed most of us in a good way."

"I guess."

"We almost avoided killing Skitters and all of that today, if it wasn't for Pope."

"It's Weaver's fault for trusting him."

"It was going fine up until we came upon a Skitters nest. About four of them hanging upside down like bats under a bridge. Pope wanted to blow 'em up right away. But dad told him no since it would probably attract Skitters or Mechs. So we just left them. We finally found the bike shop and we managed to get a couple started. Me and you got new ones. I got you a blue one, don't worry." He chuckled. "Got a red one for myself even. Anyways, Dai was in the back with Pope and he got clocked by him. Then Pope took off on one of the bikes. He went and blew up the Skitters nest and then here come a crew of harnessed kids, they shot up the shop but we were able to make a distraction and escape them."

"Did you see the Skitter controlling them?" I asked.

"I didn't. I got out before my dad and Dai. I'm pretty sure they saw it though. Otherwise, everything went just fine today."

"Yeah about as fine as Uncle Scott's cooking." I laughed. I scooted off the arm of the couch and sat down next to Hal. He sat up a bit and pulled something out of his pocket. "Whats that?" I asked him.

"Ah, nothing. Just something I found that makes me think of Karen." The door handle turned and Hal quickly put it in a box and shut it. Tom entered the room and shut the door behind him. He picked up a Harry Potter book to play it off. "I didn't know you still had this," Hal said referring to the book. "It's the last one, right?"

"Deathly Hallows. Yes. We were halfway through it when the attack happened. I figured I'd hang onto it." Tom responded, going behind the couch to put his stuff away.