≼ Chapter 6 ≽

We had stopped at our camp, long enough for me to get restitched and wrapped so I could still go on the scout mission with the group. Anne was a little mad, but she knew she couldn't hold me back. She knew why I always pushed myself. She let me go in time to catch up with Hal, Tom and the rest of the group.

We were in front of the Armory. Tom and Dai went to get a closer look while the rest of us stationed ourselves behind a overturned truck.

Tom and Dai jogged back over to us.

"Okay, who's got the ball?" Tom asked.

"Right here," Hal said. Tom took the ball from him tossing it a couple inches in the air. "Think you can get it that far, old man?" Hal joked.

"5 million dollars says you can't hit the front steps." Tom bidded.

"Oh I'll bet that money on Anna," Hal said, turning to me.

"Is that so?" Tom said turning to me.

"I mean you know I played softball before this whole thing. Outfield, pitcher, you name it. Played for 8 years." Tom nodded.

"Yeah, I Should've known that. You wouldn't catch for Hal until he played Catcher for you first." Tom laughed.

"I probably still have an indent of those softball stitches somewhere on me," Hal said.

"I'll do it for a stick of gum instead for your little bet," I bargained.

"Deal." Tom said. I smiled, and took the ball from Tom. I bent down in front of Nemo, who was being held by Jimmy. Nemo was a golden retriever and became Jimmy's adopted dog after we had found him while on a scout mission.

"You ready buddy? Ready for this?" I showed him the ball and stepped forward.

I took my skip before launching the ball into the air. It flew across the lot, landing in the yard a few feet from the steps. Hal gave me a high five. Tom handed me a stick of gum. I smiled, putting it in my mouth.

"Nice one," Hal commented, handing me my gun back.

"I haven't thrown like that for about 6 months." I laughed.

We watched closely as Nemo ran up to the ball in the yard. We heard the stomping and thudding of a Mech. The ground shook with every thundering step it took. I let out a breath trying to keep myself calm. Nemo sat down on the grass, as a Mech came stomping out of the large doorway.

My chest seemed to tighten a little and my heart seemed to thud louder with every beat. My mind wandered into all the possible ways this could all go south and become a failed mission. I almost felt sick to my stomach with the thoughts. I shook my head clearing my thoughts and looked back to the situation.

I watched as the Mech turned to the side, looking for the culprit to the sound. Nemo barked at it. We ducked behind the cars, making sure the Mech didn't see us. I peeked my head out slightly, keeping an eye on Nemo. The Mech stepped closer to Nemo, shining it's light on the dog. Jimmy suddenly stood up.

"Nemo, come back!" Jimmy shouted. He then started taking steps forward.

Tom tried to grab him, but Jimmy got too far. Jimmy ran forward into the yard a bit, but soon regretted it, as the Mech threw its head up shining its light on Jimmy. Jimmy began taking a couple steps back as the Mech stomped closer to him. I let out another breath.

"Jimmy.... why'd you do that?" I whined in a whisper.

Hal then stood up and took a step forward, checking the area before running out to save Jimmy. The Mech pointed it's bullet lines up on Jimmy just as Hal ran up behind grabbing Jimmy and pulling him away, just as the Mech fired. It hit a spot in front of them, exploding in fire and Hal and Jimmy hit the ground. As soon as it was over, Hal quickly pulled Jimmy up, running back to us before it could shoot again.