≼ Chapter 14 ≽

We reached the hospital ground and we ducked behind a couple cars, having our guns ready. A Mech marched by, it's groaning loud as it passed. Maggie and the others stood up to double check the coast after it passed us. Tom and I scooted around Hal.

"Okay, tell me," Tom whispered, referring to the plan that Hal had.

"Left at the first corridor, lobby, left at the second corridor, right. The next corridor is where Ben and Jackson are. The south corridor. Third door on the right."

"Reference?" Tom asked. Maggie scooted over to us.

"Moon falling in the east-southeast," Hal responded.

"All right, Weaver told you that the slower you go, the less noise you're going to make, right?" Tom asked to confirm.

"Yeah. I got it," Hal said.

"All right. What's the distress signal?

"I yell 'Help' As loud as I can," Hal said sarcastically. We laughed a little.

"Please don't do that," I advised.

"Don't joke," Tom said.

"One flash out the window," Hal replied seriously.

"What's the 'ready' signal?"

"Three flashes." Tom nodded.

"All right, turn around. Let me see that thing," Tom said. Hal obliged, turning around, so his back faced his dad. I moved backward as Maggie moved to the front, to check as Hal and Tom talked. After checking I moved back up to the others. Hal was getting ready to move into his positioning.

"Hey, dumbo," I whispered to him. He turned around mouthing 'what' to me. I grabbed him in a hug. "Can't your theoretical sister give you a hug before you go on a life-risking mission?" I asked. I let go and moved back. "You'll be fine. Just don't think about all the Skitters in there and one slip up could cost you your life." I gave him a weak smile.

"That's reassuring," Hal noted. We chuckled.

"It's the truth." I shrugged.

He nodded, moving his position over by Dai. He turned back around.

"Banana," He called to me. I shook my head, laughing. "I love ya."

"Love you to Dumbo. Now move your ass. You're wasting time." I laughed. He nodded turning back around and making his way up to the hospital. I bit my lip in anticipation as he made his way over there. We heard the groans and stomps as the Mech came back around. We ducked behind the car again. Tom nervously checked his watch.

--

It had been a little bit since Hal had gone in the hospital. Maggie, Tom and I were still stationed behind the car, while Dai and Anthony were in the front, near a hedge checking the area for Skitters and the Mech. We heard shuffling before we saw Anthony at the front of the car.

"No Skitters in sight. So far, so good," He informed, before going back to his position.

"It doesn't feel like that," Tom sighed. I patted his shoulder.

"Hal's gonna be just fine. You know him better than I do, but, he'll make it. I know it," I said.

A little more time had passed and I had sung a couple quiet songs to myself to keep my mind occupied. Here and there Maggie would tell me to be quiet so she could concentrate and listen for any alarming sounds.

"Hard to find a way to get through, it's a tragedy, pulling at me like the stars do. You're like gravity, even if the wind blows, it makes it hard to believe-"