≼ Chapter 9 ≽

We were stationed on top of a roof across from the hospital. There was at least a dozen harnessed kids shuffling around on the ground and on the roof carrying scrap metal and dropping it onto piles. I looked around the roof at every kid.

"Ben's on the roof," Tom states, handing the binoculars over to Hal.

"Looks like they're scavenging scrap metal," Hal added.

"That's exactly what they're doing," Tom replied. Hal handed the binoculars to me.

I spotted Jackson and I smiled. I finally had hope that we could actullly bring Ben and Jackson home. That I could have my brother back.

"I see Jackson too. I miss him so much," I mumbled.

"We'll get them soon. I promise," Tom assured us. I gave the binoculars back to Hal. He took them and started looking around the grounds of the hospital.

"They flew here in spaceships and turned kids into slaves just to collect old toasters and copper wire?" Maggie asked.

"Well, there must be some reason for it," Tom remarked.

"You think they know what's happening to them?" Hal inquired.

"I hope not," Tom said.

"So is it just like they are some walking coma? Like they are a completely different person because they are being controlled by their harness?" I questioned.

"Maybe. But we cant say anything forsure," Tom responded to me.

"How many kids are you trying to grab?" Anthony asked Tom.

"As many as we can," Tom replied. I heard the thudding and mechanical noises of a Mech approaching. i looked down to see it leading a group of kids before Hal pulled me down next to him. "Okay, let's see what we're up against," Tom observed. He handed Anthony the binoculars and Anthony stood up looking at the grounds.

"Okay, we got two Mech's patrolling in front of the building," Anthony points out.

"And theres that one behind the back," Hal adds.

"Skitter by the collection bi,." Karen states.

"And another one inside the building. Seven of us, five of them. I like those odds," Tom marveled. Everyone crouched down from their standing positions to talk over a plan.

"All right, we do this now - tired as we are, low on ammo, low on supplies - I mean, loosing Click was enough, wasn't it?" Anthony objected.

"That's my son and Anna's twin brother over there," Tom reminds him.

"I know. But we may only get one shot at this. Okay, Tom?" Anthony added. 'They're gonna be here tomorrow and the day after that."

"Okay. How about we do this-"

Karen suddenly gasped and dropped her body on me which then was squished against Hal in a very uncomfortable position. We heard the Mech starting to fire shots and everyone got up immediately and started running down the roof.

Hal helped pull me up and we followed the others as fast as we could. Tom kept looking back, I knew he was as desperate as Hal and I, maybe more into getting Ben and Jackson back.

"Dad, come on. We'll be back. We'll get them, dad," Hal says, pulling him along.

--

It was still early in the day when we got back to the school. We walked in and Anne greeted Tom at the door.

"Welcome home." She greeted us.

"Love what you've done with the place," Tom commented.

"Did you find Ben and Jackson?"