≼ Chapter 20 ≽

Ben's POV

As soon as Anna left the room Jackson went to sit on the couch. I walked over to him, crossing my arms.

"You really didn't have to say that to Anna," I said.

"I know... she didn't deserve any of it. I guess that guy just got me angry and I took it out on her. But I mean most of it is true."

"Besides the mission," I pointed out.

"Yeah... I screwed up on that one. I screwed up a lot. She will probably hate me for a while." He sighed. "I've just always felt like she overpowers me with everything."

"She won't hate you. At least not if you apologize and actually explain and talk to her. You out of anyone knows how forgiving she usually is."

"Yeah. I can't believe I said all that to her... I've always been such an ass to her. Can't believe she still puts up with me. Even after everything I've done, she says she has faith in me and always will. But I guess that's part of having a twin... for most people at least. To have the forever support of someone close. I've ignored it and abused it so much..."

"I think she just forgets all the bad. I mean she told me how hard she worked just to be able to save you. She said she didn't leave your side from when they rescued us until she was sure you were stable. She was happier knowing you were back home and safe. The whole 5 and a half months we were gone she said she worried about us constantly, you most of all though. She said when she felt that connection between you guys fade, she got scared. Scared that she had lost you forever."

"I felt it too... I felt like I wasn't myself like I was missing something, someone..."

"I'm gonna go find her," I said. Jackson nodded.

"I think I'll just go to sleep, hopefully, I'll be in a better mindset in the morning."

"Well, see you in the morning I guess." I sighed as I opened the door, shutting it behind me as I wandered down the hall to find Anna.

I turned a corner and was surprised to run into Maia. We both gasped, startling each other. Once Maia recovered she started to laugh.

"That's one way to pick up a heart rate," she joked.

"Yeah, uh, sorry about that..." I said.

"It's fine. Happens more often than you think around here. you turn around in the med-lab and there's suddenly a patient standing right behind you. Uh, anyway, I haven't seen you or Jackson much since you guys came back. How's everything going? I mean, Anna's told me some, but I'm pretty sure there's a lot more."

"Yeah... it hasn't been easy so far. I mean every time I walk out into the hall I feel like someone's gonna shoot me. But I mean my family and Anna they've got my back. I think things will get better eventually, people just need different outlooks on things."

"That's one way to look at it. I heard about the little argument thing between Anna and Jay."

"Yeah... that was something. He doesn't mean any of it but he just got worked up about other people and conflicts about us and took it out on her. But he hated it because he doesn't want to lose her, probably just as much as she doesn't want to lose him. She just..."

"Needs to loosen the reigns a bit?" Maia finished for me. I nodded.

"Yeah."

"She's afraid. She lost him once, they lost their mom, aren't even sure what might happen to their dad, afraid something with happen to Caden and Delaney... She's just afraid to lose family. She's not sure how to handle it, or make it seem like she's not bossing him or something. She just wants to get the point across that she's there for him and always will be. And that whole overpowering thing, she doesn't mean to do it. I guess they both just think the other is better."