Chapter 3: Where We Stood

We got to an abandoned field somewhere in the middle of no where. There weren't any street lights, no cars, nothing. Except, what it seemed like, endless patches of grass.

There was a dirt road and it was very bumpy. Every bump along the way, Taylor and I kept laughing.

"So is this a good place to tell me what you wanted to tell me?"

I didn't answer. I opened up the door and ran to her side of the car to open hers up, too.

"What are you doing?" She giggled as I grabbed her wrist.

"You'll see." I dragged her to the field and I plopped down on the ground that was partly wet because of the dew. She sat down carefully.

"So?" She held out her arms.

"I don't want to tell you." I said with a little smirk on my face. The night was illuminated by the full moon and stars in the sky, but other than that it wasn't very bright at all.

"Ed! Are you kidding? You made us leave to the middle of no where! You're telling my whether you like it or not!" Taylor shouted, since there was no one around to hear it.

"You're going to hate me."

"I guarantee you. I will not hate you!"

"You can't one-hundred percent guarantee that you won't hate me."

"Yes, I can guarantee that I will not hate you. I promise." Taylor said and put her hand over her heart, "Cross my heart and hope to die."

"But, I might make you hate me."

"God, what is it, Ed? Oh my god... Is it...?" She looked panicked and got up from the damp ground. Taylor started pacing around and put her hands over her face and then said, "You're leaving the tour, aren't you?"

"No! No, I wouldn't even think of doing that."

"Then what the hell is it?!" She shouted.

"It's a nice night, isn't it?" I looked up at the sky as I put my hands behind my head and laid down.

"Please don't change the subject."

"Taylor," I got up and we were standing eye-to-eye.

"Please, tell me." She whispered so softly and gracefully that I was lulled by her voice.

"Well..." I started and paused, the crickets making me all of a sudden tired.

"Mhm?" Taylor's eyes were getting sleepier and her voice was as well.

"What do you love the most?"

"Ed-"

"Please answer me." I said and closed my eyes, focusing on remembering this moment forever, every detail.

"I don't know." She paused and breathed in deeply. "Food, cats... Love."

"You love love?" I said with a hint of amusement and she nodded furiously.

"In love with the thought of love. Aren't you?" Her eyes were so clear and blue and icy that it was as if I could see through them. Her eyes might have been icy, but they weren't cold at all.

"I guess." I took a shaky breath in. "Well, the thing is... I love..." I stammered, not ready to let go of this secret.

"Hm?" She said with wrapped attention and at the same time relaxation.

"I love... You." I said slowly, so slowly, in fact, I felt as if she would run away even before I finished talking.

She cleared her throat and scratched her head. "What?"

"I love you. As much as you love the idea of love, as much as you love cats, and as much as you love food. Taylor, I love you!" I said. I felt vulnerable after I said that, but her eyes were glowing with so much warmth that I knew she wasn't like any other girl I'd met before.

"You...do?" She said with a crack in her voice and I could see her face getting a shade redder.

"Yes. I know this is sudden, but it's the perfect time and place to ask. Do you love me too?"

"Ed.. I-" she said and bit her lip.

"Oh..." I replied and knew what she meant by the tone of her voice.

"Listen," she motioned for me to sit down, and we both did.

"Yeah?"

"I've had my heart broken before. You know that. I'm not exactly sure that I'm ready to let myself get into another relationship. Not just yet. I don't know about a few months from now, or even a week from now. I also don't know my feelings for you. You're my best friend, and that's all I know. I haven't really thought of you anything else. You know what I'm saying?" She said and put her hand lightly on top of mine, and I exhaled loudly.

"I know what you mean. Could you just... Think about it sometime?"

"Yeah, I will. Thanks for telling my about...this." She blushed and got up. We walked to her car and drove home. The digital clock said it was 3 o'clock AM, and Taylor kept yawning the whole way home. It was 4:30 AM when we got back to the hotel, and we walked back to our rooms.

Careful not to wake anyone up, Taylor walked to her room, which was right across the hall from mine.

"We won't get much sleep tonight, I guess." Taylor laughed slowly, which was interrupted by a hefty yawn. "I better get to sleep before I crash right here in the hallway."

"I'm right there with ya," I said and yawned, opening the door to my room.

"Wait, Ed..." she called to me quietly right before I entered the room.

"Yeah?"

"Um," her face turned pink, "I don't know how to say this..." She walked over to me and put her right hand on my face and kissed me. When she pulled back, my face made her giggle. "I'll see you tomorrow. Goodnight."

"Goodnight..." I said and walked into my room and sat down onto my bed.

I wasn't even tired anymore.