Wake Up, My Dear

Law returned to the inside of the emergency waiting room, glancing back once more at Lexi, still standing outside to compose herself. A feminine sigh made him glance back, watching as Brittany finished signing all the hospital papers. She leaned her head against an elbow on the counter.

"This stuff doesn't even try to make you feel better about the situation." Her tired eyes met his for a brief moment, turning away to stare at the floor. She dropped the pen back onto the counter and thanked Amanda, the receptionist, before rising and grabbing her purse.

"I'm starving, but I don't really think anyone has an appetite for anything right now." Brittany muttered, hearing her stomach gurgle once more. Placing a hand on the offending area of her body, she sat, Law doing the same right beside her.

"Most people don't after losing a loved one." Law agreed, leaning back into his chair and staring up at the ceiling. It was sectioned off into identical square panels, strange white dotted patterns adorning the underside. But these random patterns and dots gave him something to focus on while they waited for Lexi to come back inside.

"You know, normal Brittany would be flirting up a storm right now with you," She admitted, a wry grin on her face, "but I think I would just come across as insensitive, given where we are." She finished with a mutter, trying to lighten the mood just a little. Law graced her with an amused smirk, but they both returned to silence again.

The soft waiting room music continued to play, and Law lost himself to the quiet lyrics of whatever song it was.

"...why do you call her Lexi-ya?" Brittany inquired, gaining his attention once more. He shrugged.

"It's customary in my...country." He lied, hoping she wouldn't question it too much. Thankfully this answer seemed to satisfy her, and she returned to looking through her purse. Unknown objects clinked and clanked together from within the bag's depths. Law could only wonder what sort of items this young woman held within it, though he'd rather not find out.

"Oh, I still have Lexi's keys in here." Brittany pulled out a keyring, the contents jangling together as the keys fell back into place. "Well, I should probably drive us home anyways. I don't think she's really in any...condition...to..." Law looked up as the woman's sentence got slower and slower, her train of thought coming to a complete stop. She was staring off past him, towards the parking lot, frowning deeply.

Following her gaze, Law gazed out of the glass double doors and over to the two people standing outside. Lexi was still there, but with her was an unrecognizable pale-skinned man, with dark brown hair, holding some sort of metal object, the end bent at a 90 degree angle.

He appeared to be gesturing behind him, talking to Lexi. The brunette then appeared to become surprised or angry at something he'd said, and she clenched her fists. Then, he began walking the other direction, and she followed. Law's first thought was that maybe she knew him, maybe he was a friend of hers she'd never talked about. Maybe from college. Brittany, however, stood up and slowly walked to the door.

"Do you recognize him?" Law asked then, a sudden uneasy feeling building in his chest. Immediately, Brittany grabbed her stuff and began rushing out the door.

"No. I don't know who he is." She answered worriedly, Law trailing behind her. "Lexi!" She yelled, hoping to stop whatever she feared was about to happen. Of course, she could be completely wrong and panicking for no reason, but that didn't stop her heart from racing in her chest. Parked cars passed them by as they hurried to spot where the two had gone.

Finally rounding the corner, Law and Brittany paused a moment, watching as the unknown man threw an unconscious Lexi into the back of a red sedan, though it was difficult to distinguish in the dark, closing the trunk loudly.