A Not-So-Powerful Please

"What are you thinking?" I asked Thad a moment later. He was making a face of confusion, and I always liked to know what was up in his funny little mind.

He hesitated, and it was obvious that he was calculating whether or not what he was about to say was rude. "I want to be completely truthful with you. Do you give me permission to say anything right now? at least in this room?"

I scowled- this couldn't be good. "Okay, I give you permission."

Thaddeus sighed. "I'm seriously- VERY seriously- doubting whether or not Shylock is really having any meaningful feelings for you other than those that are normal before meeting your real mate," he said quickly.

"So, in my language, that means 'Shylock just thinks you're his mate because you're pretty'?"

"I think the answer to that is somewhere in between yes and no..."

"You mean maybe?"

"Yeah. That. But really, think about it. He's a werewolf, you're attractive, the mirrors says-"

"Oh, screw the mirror! How do I know if its right?!"

Thaddeus looked serious. "Don't doubt the mirror. It was made long ago by the great wizard Merlin as a perfect test of where you belong. That is... all except werecats. I never imagined that you would be one.

The clasp was added after Merlin's death, after the existence of werecats was revealed. So, I guess you could be correct. The only faulty part of the test is the werecat part. But if you aren't a werecat, there isn't anything else you could be. The other tests confirmed that."

"Well... what are you?"

"I'm called," he bent close to my ear, whispering superstitiously. "an Evergaurd. But... I have a personality. And I don't know how that's possible. Yett another of life's greatest mysteries."

Instead of going into an hour long discussion about that, I changed the subject.

"What else makes you think that he isn't my mate?"

"When you find your real mate you only want to spend time with them. even if you used to dislike them. They're pretty much the other half of you." Okay, I guess I didn't really feel like that... so was I his mate?

"What am I supposed to do? What would you do? Wait... don't answer that."

Suddenly the door was flung open, allowing a drunk and giggling Calyx into the room.

"There's a party at the Main Hall! why aren't you there, Core?!"

"Just... reading," I said, grabbing my magazine.

Calyx hiccuped and said "oops, I'm not very dainty right now! hehehehheh... any-hooo, Shylock is in a fight! You GOTTA come see!"

"What?!" I looked at Thaddeus.

"I gotta go. I left my purse," said Calyx slamming into the wall on the way out.

"Thaddeus, I NEED to go help him!"

"No," he said. "You can't get in the middle of a wolf fight. However-"

"You think you could stop me?" I said, taken aback that he would say that after all of this.

"As I was saying, WE can go help him." I tried not to feel offended by his tone of 'i-told-you-so'.

"Oh... well in that case, we gotta get going!"

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Dirt and dust were flying everywhere, and in the middle of the small storm, two wolves were attacking each other at full speed. One wolf was gray, and the other looked like it had once been white, but now it was covered in blood and dirt. It seemed to be missing an ear.