If This Were a Book, I'd Throw It

"Alrighty, Thad. You ready?"

"Yeah. let's go."

Thaddeus and I walked out of my dorm with packed bags, toward Tamari's cave. We were ready to leave, but we would need help. The edge of Canada wasn't too far at the high speeds we'd be traveling, but we needed protection at least until we hit the last bit of Washington.

"Hey, Tamari," I said as I entered the cave.

"Yes?"

"Well, my- ah- guardian and I were contemplating leaving for the last few nights, and I have finally plucked up the courage to ask for your help."

Tamari drew closer, grabbing a bit of my hair and smelling it. "I think I have figured you out, Corrina."

"Ah?"

"Yes." he started to pull my head closer, tugging uncomfortably on my hair. Thaddeus made a move to come help, but I looked at him sharply and he backed off.

"So," Tamari muttered. "You want me to send some of my wolves with you to escape whatever enemy is following you? Do you realize we just lost three of our best trainees?"

"Yes, sir," I said respectfully.

"Why would I send them to help YOU... Cat?!" he spat the last word like it was a curse.

"Sir, I thought we had an agreement on-"

"You've been a cat in wolf territory this whole time, and somehow you survived. I'm sure you can make it wherever you're headed in the same way."

"But sir, we have reason to believe that this enemy has something to do with the loss of your trainees-"

Tamari slammed his fists onto the table next to him, glaring at me. "so you want us to risk lives to get YOU away? I know, why don't we ALL come along to your pride, eh? How would that be?" As he spoke, his hot breath spread across my face and I gagged. He was full to the brim with alcohol. I could even see it in his movements- his feet were dragging, and his words were slowed, leaving his mouth like it was thick with honey.

There was a stretch of silence before Corrina spoke again.

"So, sir, what do you suggest my companion and I do?"

"Leave. Before I order my son to hunt you down."

"But sir-"

Tamari turned around with a murderous look in his eyes. "I have been in touch with the stars, Corrina. I was wrong to allow you here in the first place." the cave suddenly grew colder and the torch on the wall dimmed. "You will cause it all. You bring pain, and destruction of order! You will leave now, werecat! BEGONE!" I ran out of the cave quickly, frightened by Tamari's change in attitude. I didn't want to know what would happen next. Infact, if this were a book I was reading, I probably would be throwing it across the room and hissing at it for this part. But there was nothing to stop it from happening.

I heard howling all around me, and I was surrounded.

Wolves were coming at me at full speed, and I just about peed my pants.

Then I felt something rough grab me from behind, and I was tossed onto the back of a white wolf with one ear missing.

Shylock.

He said nothing as he dashed into the trees out of sight of the other wolves. After a bit he yelled "KUNTA! C'MON OUT!" and a big black wolf came from around a tree. Shylock skidded to a stop in front of her, shifting to human form.

"I am not speaking to Corrina. Will you be the message carrier?"

Kunta shifted also. "Really, Shylock, is this the time for-''

"Come on! We're burning daylight here!"

"Okay, fine."

"Ask Corrina where she and her invisible guardian are headed."

"To the werecat pride at the end of Washington," I said.

"Tell her you need to say it before she answers!!"

"Ah,'' said Kunta, "I need to repeat what he says before you answer."

"Good. ask her why she's going."

"Why are you going?"

"I... I am not completely sure. My so-called 'invisible guardian' says its the safest place for me right now."

"Is it safe?" he said, forgetting not to talk to me for a moment. "Ask her if its safe."

"SHE'S NOT AN OWL!*" I yelled out of nowhere. "sorry," I added, "it needed to be said by someone. and, probably not."

He frowned. "tell her to tell the invisible guardian to ride on you, Kunta."

"Tell your guardian-"

"Thad, will you ride Kunta?"

He nodded.

"Alright," I said. "he agreed."

"Everyone climb up. and... tell her I trust her."

Kunta looked at me with a look on her face that plainly said "gurl he be flirtin wit you".

Boarding Shylock's back, I held on tightly.

They started running, and I burrowed my face into his muscled back, smelling him. He smelled relaxing.

Enjoying yourself back there, a voice said in my head.

Shylock? I thought you weren't speaking to me.

Yeah. So... you're a werecat? He replied, completely changing the subject.

Yes. Well, we think so. Everyone thinks so.

Wow.

What?

It's just... we are very opposed to werecats.

Then... take me as an example that werecats aren't all bad.

The air whipped my face as we sped out of the wolf territory, and I saw the highway go by in one great leap. Suddenly, I felt a strange wind develop around us, and it was nearly impossible to see through all the dust that had sprung up out of nowhere. I heard Shylock scream "NO! KUNTA, RUN! HOLD ON EVERYBODY!" and the air was knocked out of me. My vision was blurry. The world was spinning, but I wasn't moving anymore. I tried to sit up, but felt too queasy and fell back. Thaddeus wrapped me in his arms and cradled my head. Although I couldn't see him, I knew. Of course Thaddeus was holding me. Of course it was him.

He kissed my forehead and caressed my ear. My vision became normal and my hearing- which I hadn't noticed was gone- returned. Thaddeus was muttering "I'm sorry. I'm so so sorry," and an image of a man in a long brown coat with amazing hair went through my mind. Wait, I giggled drunkly, that's the doctor*!

Why was he sorry?

Was I going to die?

Had something attacked us?

My thoughts were interrupted when I was fiercely grabbed and thrown onto Shylock's back again, and the chase ensued.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

1: SHE'S NOT AN OWL- a line from the fourth Harry Potter movie is "IM NOT AN OWL"

2: "I'm sorry. I'm so so sorry," and an image of a man in a long brown coat with amazing hair went through my mind. wait, I giggled drunkly, that's the doctor!- referring to David Tennant's reincarnation of The Doctor, a sci-fi character from the British TV show "Doctor Who"

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Aallllrighty then. WHAT IS IN STORE FOR THE POOR HEROINE? WILL SHE MAKE IT TO THE CAT PRIDE? WILL THADDEUS ACCOMPANY HER? WILL SHYLOCK TRY TO MAKE ANOTHER MOVE ON HER? WE'LL SEE!

vote if you're enjoying it!

Comment any problems you have with the last few chpts.!