What's Up, Doc?

"I still haven't seen the rest of the pride!" I complained to Thaddeus three evenings later. "I'm fine! Seriously! Just a bit woozy when I walk..."

"If the Doc says you need rest, then you need rest. Trust him. He's the best healer around."

At Thad's reply, I looked over at the Doc, who was grinding herbs quietly. I'd gotten to know him a bit better during my stay. He seemed much younger than he was- in the way he acted and the way he looked- for some unknown reason, and his name was Doc. Just Doc. Sometimes people called him the Doc, but that was it.

He turned around, aware that Thaddeus was with me, and said "Visiting time is over. I'm sorry, you'll have to leave." I caught his eye and looked away guiltily. "What?" he said.

"Well, it's just..." I bit my lip, trying not to laugh. "He says that it'll be hard to kick him out if you don't know whether he's here or not."

At that, the Doc smiled slightly, saying "Alright, well, I'll write in my records that he left."

I smiled at Thaddeus, putting my hand in his hair. his eyes were so pretty. I say that about most eyes, though. "Thad," I whispered, still staring at him intently.

"Hmm?"

"I'm sleepy.."

"Me too." I raised an eyebrow. "Oh, you mean...?"

"I'd like some rest."

"Right. Okay... I'll leave then..."

he walked slowly out of the room.

"Thad, I know you're still there." There was no reply, but that hardly mattered. He wouldn't leave.

Once I woke again a while later (I wasn't sure when, but a while) it was lightly raining. I looked out a window across from my bed and rubbed my eyes. The building I was in was only one room, and reminded me of a beaver dam. It was made of logs and dirt, but smelled nice, and was very structurally sound. It was almost as if it was enchanted to be... clean, and perfect.

The Doc was resting against a wall, his eyes closed and breathing level. He was quite a looker. suddenly, he shuddered and opened his eyes, looking over at me.

"Ehh, what's up, Doc*?" I said with a  smile.

He obviously didn't get the reference, because he said  "The same as usual...." in a confused way.

"Never mind. It was a reference to a cartoon. Anyway, when am I getting out of here? I want to see my new home!"

"You can leave this evening. You're doing much better. but you'll have to spend nights in here for the next... Week, ish...."

This didn't surprise me, although I was slightly sad that I wouldn't get a new place to stay.

"Tell me about the... buildings."

"Buildings?"

"Yeah, like, where do teens stay?"

"... With their parents?"

"Oh. At the werewolf pack they stayed in training dorms. I just figured it was the same here."

"You should assume practically the opposite of whatever the wolves had."

"So, is there an alpha?"

"Not exactly. We have a king. Not in the sense you might think, though. He's pretty much like a wolf alpha, but he doesn't weild as much power. Instead of having a fearless leader, we take votes. it's more like a democracy."

"Oh, okay. What about... sentries? Who gaurds the edges of the village?"

"We have spiked walls and a group of 15 men and women, with an additional 15 as backup. why do you ask?"