♦︎

Harley wept. the whole house exploded by Batmans traps, she run out of the house in the pure darkness. She was soaked, covered in dirt and rain and sweat and blood. She screamed, not caring who heard, not caring who came for her. Harley cursed his name, she cursed the murders that she had committed. She cursed herself for breaking down, she cursed herself for not being strong enough. She cursed Joker, because she thought he was her friend. Because he was kind to her, and her to him. She realized she isn't living in a fairytale. That everything is real life. Harley ran in fear and felt lost in herself. She suddenly heard a car drive up to her. The car stopped and so did she. Her blood-red eyes, my tear-stained cheeks showed perfectly in the headlights of the car. A man got out and walked toward her. "Harleen, come with me. I can help you."
He took her hands, Harley shaking, and her eyes, terrified.
"Bats?" Harley stepped forward, gently.
The man was silent. He held her as if Harley was a child on the verge of running away, he held her as if she was a fragile, broken, porcelain doll and he were trying to keep me together. Batman held Harley as she wept, as she mourned. He took her to his car. Put Harley in the passenger seat. Shutting the door she stared blankly out the window. Looking out into the rainy darkness. Drifting asleep as the car began to move.

--
Later that night Batman awoke from Harley's screams across the hall. He jolted up and ran to her bedroom. Batman smelled the salty scent of her sweat, of her tears.
"Harleen?"
She was sitting up in her bed, breathing the darkness of the night. The blankets tangled around her as if she'd been thrashing.
"Mr.J ..." she breathed, her eyes opening for the first time.
Batman approached her, slowly and gently, careful not to frighten her.
Her breathing was slowing down, becoming normal, as her eyes refocused.
"I'm sorry," Batman apologized, taking a seat next to her on the mattress.
He brushed his thumbs along her cheekbones, drying the thin streams that had formed.
Harley shook her head. "It's okay Bats, I'm fine. I just....forgot where I was for a minute."
Batman signed. "I'll help you recover from this awful nightmare. You deserve more than what he offered."

i'm so sorry.