Chapter One

I watched her through the window; as she fumbled with her wifi box trying desperately to fix it. When she was done she looked at me, right at me. I stood there watching her watch me. She was the most beautiful thing I'd ever seen, and I knew she'd be mine... when the time was right.
                                            -Sethaniel

"Dorris get your lazy ass up!" I open my eyes and squint at the morning sun. "I'm up, i'm up... you butthole," I say pulling my blanket off of me.

I yawn and get out of my bed, fumbling into my slippers and robe. I yawn once more and walk over to my mirror. I inspect my face and then put my hair up in a ponytail. I walk out of my room, going downstairs into the noisy kitchen, that faintly smells like wet dog.

"She's alive," my dad jokes as he usually does.

I sit down at the table and scrunch my nose. "Why does it smell like wet dog in here, Holly," I ask picking up the newspaper and skimming through it.

"I've told you before, you call me mom, Dorris," my mom says putting sausage onto a plate and placing it in front of my dad. I grab a piece and take a bite.

"And to answer your question, your little sister decided to bring a dog into the house last night while it was raining. So thank her for that," she says annoyed.

She puts pancakes and bacon on another plate, and places it in front of me.

I put down the newspaper and eat my food. My dad picks up the newspaper and looks over at me. "Dorris," he questions. I stop eating and look over at him. "What?"

He pushes his glasses up and clears his throat. "Now, I don't want you hanging out with that boy again tonight. He's trouble and you don't need that in your life," he says looking at me sternly. I roll my eyes and get up. "Sure thing pops," I say sarcastically and go back upstairs without finishing my food.

I grumble and slam my door. I go over to my closet and grab a black pair of ripped skinny jeans and a black and white striped baggy sweater.

I put them on and grab my combat boots and throw them by my door along with my backpack. Today is the last day of senior year and also my eighteenth birthday. I brush my curly black hair and put on black eyeliner, mascara, and eyeshadow giving me a smokey eye effect.

I glide on some reddish-purple lipstick and put my Melanie Martinez socks on along with my boots. I pull my bookbag over my shoulder and grab my phone, charger, and earbuds.. opening my secret money box.

I have been saving money since I was thirteen. The year my mom died.

Okay she didn't die. But it felt like it, she became all mean and a total bitch.
She used to be one of those moms who let you eat ice cream before dinner and give you some cash for school. I loved her to death, but then she changed.

I started calling her by her name. That's when she started forgetting my birthdays. And it's all thanks to my dad. She caught him having sex on top of his desk with one of his 'clients'. They got divorced for two years and then got back together.

They never remarried though.

I remember one night a few weeks after they got divorced, I came into the kitchen to get a glass of water, I saw her.

She was sitting on the ground hugging a picture to her chest, sobbing. I watched her for awhile and then went back into my room.

She was alive then. I could see her soul, the mother I loved, and she was hurt. The next day she was back to herself. Although all the pictures had disappeared. She had put them in boxes and kept them in the garage. Maybe she knew they would be together again.

I grab all the money from my box counting it. I had two thousand, four hundred and sixty-eight dollars.

Christmas and my birthday were gold mines. In reality, it isn't much for what i'm trying to do. But it'll work. I never got a job or a car. I know how to drive, but I had to save money and I didn't have time for a job. I worked with a lot of shelter homes and things as community service. I either walked to the places I needed to go or took a cab using the money I had to beg out of my relatives.

I never went to prom or had a boyfriend.

I went to a sixth grade dance once for about five minutes, considering it wasn't mine but my little sisters, Hailee, we are three years apart and nothing alike.

She's known as popular and I'm known as... well... I'm not a prude or anything. I have friends. it's just school events weren't really my thing. And boys I had no time for, I needed  to save money, do community service, plan this day -my eighteenth birthday- and study.

I was an A,B type of student. I didn't get good grades for college, or to please my parents, or to even please myself. I did it because I needed the knowledge for when this day came and I had to do things differently. I could go to a good college, but then that would defeat the whole purpose of these past five years of planning and waiting.

My escape to my new life.

Hey guys, so this is officially my first story on Wattpad. Yeah it might suck, but you gotta deal with it. I want to become a writer but I don't know if I'm good at writing. I would like to think I am, but I can never really know without your comments. So please my little nuggets, GIVE ME SOME FEEDBACK. Thanks nuggets. Have a good day and stay crunchy!

P.S. I will be trying to publish one or two chapters on the weekend. I don't have my phone on weekdays because my mom won't allow me to have one yet, even though I'm fourteen. I live with my dad on weekends btw, and he's the chill parent. My mom said shes thinking about getting me a phone for Christmas. We'll see. I think I'm getting off topic... Anyways i'm sorry I can't publish during the week. Remember, I will greatly apriciaye it if you guys give me feedback. Bye-bye nugs.