Chapter 4

Chapter 4: (Christine's POV):

The door slammed shut behind me, as I left Erik...

When I gazed into his black, speckled golden eyes, I felt as though I had been hypothesized by mystery.

He was special and even though I had just met him, I knew! I knew that he was beyond a kindred spirit.

I locked those thoughts away to a deep place, because I was to be married!

Married to a man that I did not have any affections for...

Furthermore, I walked out of Erik's new room, feeling relieved that one case of abuse had been resolved.

One thing that I was not excited about was telling my father about Erik, for he is the one that allows people to be put in these poor conditions...

I decided that I needed to tell him sooner or later so, I started for his chambers.

I knocked on the large, brass doors and the guards opened them with the orders of my father.

I saw my father writing with a piece of parchment and a quill.

"Father, are you still writing laws?" I asked him reluctantly...

He had been creating new laws non-stop and they were consuming all of his time.

Father had grown harsh since Mother died and he created laws to get his mind off of the death of Mother... He used to play the violin for all the subjects of our kingdom! That time was when Father, didn't allow segregation of the poor and the wealthy. I yearned for that man back, but I did know one thing...

Death can destroy a person...

I buried away these thoughts, I listened for what my father has to say about my curiosity.

"Ah Christine. Is that any of your concern?" Father asked me, his voice thundering through the chambers.

"No, sir." I replied as the color has drained from my cheeks... I hated when Father would get upset with me.

"Why are you here past curfew, Christine?" he asked as he looked over his spectacles.

"I am here to let you know that a member of the Royal Guard has been, well, removed from the premises... I found out tonight that he is leaving the kingdom to live elsewhere." I told Father.

"That's rather peculiar." Father said.

"Yes, Father I am aware and I that is why... ah..." I said, realizing that I shouldn't let Father know a commoner was going to be part of the Royal Guard.

I knew that he would send Erik right back to where he came from, if he found out that a peasant was on the Guard.

"Yes, Christine? I do not have all of tonight's time." Father said to me.

"Sorry, Sir, I was thinking for a moment... Anyway, I brought a Guard from our neighboring kingdom here to fill up the gap! He needs to go through a bit more training because he has not been in the force for a that long." I said, knowing I really shouldn't have lied.

"I see. I will put one of our trained guards from your security ensemble, to guard the streets while the new guard trains to be a part of the group that protects you... Do you understand?" Father asked me.

He actually believes me. I thought to myself.

"Yes, I do understand Father." I said trying to hold back my smile.

"I will evaluate him in the morning to make sure he will be fit for the job." Father added.

"Yes, Sir." I replied.