Chapter 23

"Ayato-sama" The ghoul said

You stared at him as if asking if he was sane. Ayato on the ground, covered in blood, his body totally lifless in front of a dove that didn't even seem that skilled. That was literally impossible. Something was off. You looked at Ayato who was laying helplessly on the ground before you moved your eyes towards the dove. What you saw made you realize everything.

It was your father fighting against Ayato.

You gripped the railing as your breathing became uneven and your body started shaking. You had a fight with Ayato this morning. You thought he hated you. You thought everything was over, but he still kept his promise he made months ago. He still saved your father, but he is now in danger. You couldn't let this happen, you had to do something. But you were frozen in shock, you couldn't process the situation. You saw your father rising his quinque, and aimed it at Ayato. You quickly jumped down in front of Ayato, using your kagune to stop his weapon before he could hurt him. Your father was strong, stronger than usual doves, and stopping the quinque took effort, but you did stop him.

"Stop this" you whispered

You felt something grabbing your ankle. You knew it was Ayato, trying to stop you from intruding, but you couldn't. You knew he wouldn't survive if you hadn't come.

"Don't... Run away, this is dangerous" you heard Ayato.

You just couldn't leave without a battle. You couldn't let anyone hurt him. Who does hurt him, pays for it.

"Isn't it the Damsel?" You heard your father talk. He still didn't realize it was you. You had a mask on and didn't say a thing, so it was understandable.
"You monsters, how are you not ashamed of crimes you are committing!" Your father shouted totally furious as he swung the quinque towards you. But then you heard Ayato shout:

"(F/n)!!"

You were ready to dodge the attack, but your father froze by hearing your name. He looked at Ayato with tearful eyes. He dropped the quinque on the floor and sunk to his knees.

"My children, they were both killed by you." Your father said as tears rolled down his eyes. You looked at him from above and saw him staring at ground. You tried so hard not to cry, but it was impossible due your father expressing his feelings so openly.

"My son was eaten by a ghoul, my daughter was probably also eaten too. You've ruined my family, thousands of families. How can you not hate yourselves for that?" He continued to cry. "My wife, she is barely living anymore" you crouched down to your fathers level and cried with him.

"You don't have feelings, don't bother crying" your father told you.

You turned towards Ayato who was on his back barely breathing. You saw he was unconscious. You stroked his hair and silently thanked him for protecting your father while brought your hand to your mask. You took it off and faced your father. He raised his head and looked you in the eyes. His eyes widened and you could hear his breath hitch as he saw your tears stained face.

"(F/n)" he started "how?" Your father started sobbing.

"It's not only our family that was destroyed. He never talked about his family" You said as you looked at Ayato. "I assumed he didn't have one, but everyone once had it. Today I met his sister. She had lost contact with him long ago. And their parents were probably killed by doves. Humans aren't the only ones affected, it's ghouls too."

"But it's different, they eat-" your father started but you were quick to stop him.

"What is different? Ghoul seat people? Can they choose? They want to live as much as humans do! They want to live and protect persons they care for as much as humans! They couldn't decide! It's not their fault!