Chapter 12

We got on the next flight outta South Africa to America. I needed to be home with my family to deal with this loss.

When I boarded the plane and when I got off, it felt like I had a 20 ton weight on my shoulders.

When we arrived in LAX, I pulled out my phone immediately and called my mom.

"Hey baby!" She answered.

"Hey," I answered sadly.

"How are you?" She asked, referring to Theophilia.

"I'm dealing with it the best I can..."

"That's good sweetie. Well, you should come visit me and your Aunt Rosie out here in Arizona. It'll help take your mind off of things..." She offered.

I continued to walk toward baggage claim with the phone to my ear and Ken carrying all of my carry on bags. "That sounds good Mamá," I agreed. My Spanish accent was coming out.

"Sounds good to me sweetheart. Where are you at?"

"Baggage claim. I'll talk to you later Mamá . Love you," I hung up.

Kendrick and I sat in a few chairs off to the side and waited for the bags from our flight to arrive at the airport on the carousel. He gently took my hand in his and kissed it. I started tearing up.

"Everything will be okay, baby. She's in heaven now and don't gotta worry about any of these worldly things anymore," He tried to ease my pain.

"I know. I just wish we could have met her and been able to give her a good life." I grabbed a tissue from my pocket and wiped my eyes, careful not to smudge my makeup.

He stood up with me and hugged me. We stood there forever crying together. I had never mourned this hard over someone I barely knew.

"We'll get through this I promise," He smoothed the hair in my bun then laid his head back on my head.

The luggage started piling onto the carousel. I pulled away and got our bags.

About 20 minutes later, we were in a taxi and on our way home.

Being home was the best feeling ever. I needed to be around some familiar scenery. It was 2 AM, and Kendrick was already in the bed sleeping. I wondered how he could sleep with all of the craziness going on on Twitter and the blogs.

News had gotten out that our adoptive daughter had gotten killed. The last thing I needed was to be hounded by paparazzi and people on Facebook and Twitter.

This was MY business and I didn't want to share it with the world.

As I was scrolling down my Instagram timeline, my iPhone buzzed. I pulled down my notification bar and it was a text from Drake.

Drake: Hey

Me: Hello

Drake: How Are You ?

Me: I'm Holding Up.

Drake: That's Good. I'm Real Sorry To Hear About Your Loss.

Me: Yea...

Drake: How's Kendrick Doing ?

Me: Coo....

Drake: Oh. Well That's Good. You Wanna Come Chill Tonite At My Crib ?

I was feeling a little skeptical about this. It was 2:17 in the morning, and I wasn't real sure that I wanted to leave Kendrick unannounced like that.